Best option to connect one Vic-20 to an HDMI monitor?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Best option to connect one Vic-20 to an HDMI monitor?

Post by Lechuck »

Hi,

I’m having problems to get a good image from my VIC-20 in an HDMI monitor. I’m using an AV cable from the VIC to an AV->HDMI converter and, from it, an HDMI cable to the monitor. And I get the image, but with an annoying flickering. I think it is not a problem from the VIC nor from the AV cable because, when I use it in a TV, it works OK. Regarding the AV-HDMI converter, I have tried with two different converters, from different manufacturers, with identical result.

Do you use HDMI monitors with the VIC?. If so, what cable/converter are you using?

Thanks!
mathom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: Best option to connect one Vic-20 to an HDMI monitor?

Post by mathom »

I've just been down this road myself although I needed to end up with a VGA connection on the other side to accommodate an older spare monitor. I tried several of the relatively inexpensive converters with horrible results. I also tried a fairly expensive professional video scaler that I got cheaply on Ebay since it was missing its original power supply. It was better but still not good. I finally broke down and bought a RetroTINK. I'm running the HDMI output of it through an HDMI/VGA converter and have achieved an acceptable image. Strangely enough I have an old 10" 16x9 aspect non-HDMI TV that we used to use in the kitchen which produces the best image when connecting to the composite inputs on it. I don't get how an extremely cheap TV can have better composite circuitry than standalone devices whose only job is to do that conversion.
...mathom...
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Thanks a lot Mathom!
I guess I’ll need to take the Retro Tink path too. I guess I was too optimistic thinking that a 10 € device could get me a good result :(

Thanks again
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Hi,

last week I received the RetroTink MINI. Result from the initial screen (white background and dark blue chars) was really good, but, when I tried some games (with dark background and light chars) result was very disappointing. For example, this is how the 'Penultimate cartridge' screen looked like:
(green and light blue texts are really dificult to read...)

So, trying to improve quality, I decided to try with the S-Video Mod (the 'Plug and Play' one). Luckily, the RetroTink MINI came with an S-Video cable I could, partially use (I only had to solder a 5 pin connector in one side to plug it in in the VIC-20 and leave the Chroma cable out of the connector to connect it to the Pin 2 of the VIC chip. The mod seems to have worked OK and result is, at least for me, really impressive:

So, I can finally use my VIC-20 with a modern monitor with good quality.

Cheers
mathom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mathom »

That looks great! I’m glad you decided to do the mod. I have been toying with the idea and started working on it but my dismal soldering skills put a stop to it. Seeing how much improvement you achieved has me thinking that I need to revisit the issue.
...mathom...
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Hi Mathon,

it wasn’t a complex mod at all (I'm not particularly good at soldering but still was able to do it). The mod I did doesn’t require disoldering/soldering components in the PCB but just adding a socket to the VIC chip and soldering a cable to pin2 after having blended it. Appart from that, you’ll only need to solder a capacitor and a resistor to that cable and, also, to solder the 5 pins DIN connector (soldering that connector was the trickiest part for me). And result really worths...

Cheers
mathom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mathom »

I think it was at the point of soldering the DIN connector that I gave up. I have no clue how to effectively make that solder connection. I destroyed at least one connector by melting the plastic piece that holds the pins and still didn't get a good solder joint. Good thing I bought a 10 pack. :oops:
...mathom...
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Yes, that was the hardest part for me too (I’m not used to soldering so tiny connectors)...

But this guy explains it very well:
https://youtu.be/gJdiknMFVKs

Cheers
mathom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mathom »

Thank you for the link. Very nice explanation. Too bad my plugs are the hollow pin type. I did see a YouTube video in which a guy used a Dremel to grind one side of the hollow pin to make it look like the one in the RetroRecipes video. I might have to try that. Just in case I just ordered some with the pins already "scooped."
...mathom...
MysticSword
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MysticSword »

This topic reminded me of a video I recently watched on YouTube where a guy manages to connect an old Atari 2600 to a 4K screen TV, with the use of a couple of adapter thingies and a VCR, and so it looks like could use HDMI (after running through the according adapters and VCR) to connect to his TV.
Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIaPu5Jh2qs

Anyways, I thought maybe something like this idea can also be applied for a Vic-20 as well.
I currently don't own a real Vic-20 (I do my Vic-20 stuff now via VICE emulator), so I've not done the idea (as presented in that video) myself.
I love retro-gaming and the Vic-20. 8)