COMPETITION: Things we want to see / hear - 2021 Vic20 Development Competition - Launch

Discuss anything related to the VIC
DarwinNE
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: COMPETITION: Things we want to see / hear - 2021 Vic20 Development Competition - Launch

Post by DarwinNE »

Can I participate with Silk Dust? I'm currently seeing if a physical release is possible.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: COMPETITION: Things we want to see / hear - 2021 Vic20 Development Competition - Launch

Post by Vic20-Ian »

DarwinNE wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:10 am Can I participate with Silk Dust? I'm currently seeing if a physical release is possible.
Yes please do. V1.0 was in June so that is valid 2021 release.

Thank you.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Due to work commitments and a brief period of illness I will be extending this competition to cover all 2021 releases.

Nominally if you have released a version (or announced) on Denial before 31st December your entry will be considered when judged in the New Year.

If you can help with rules, judging, prizes, please get in touch by pm.
Vic20-Ian

Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

I really like the idea, great incentive to finish some of these projects ;)
3^4 is 81.0000001
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Victragic wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:35 am I really like the idea, great incentive to finish some of these projects ;)
If you finish the one in your Avatar you would likely get a lot of votes ;-)
Vic20-Ian

Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Come on folks - roll up roll up!

Become a judge

Donate a prize

Post here that you have an entry in progress

Stimulate the community and receive eternal Vic20 Good Karma points.
Vic20-Ian

MysticSword
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MysticSword »

As I write this post (and I'm gradually becoming more familiar with the forums here), I'm still a new Member to the site here.
Recently (with the help of Vic-20 VICE emulator and CBM .prg Studio programming software) I've been making an attempt to create a new game (tentatively called 'Treasure Seeker'), written in BASIC, for the Vic-20.

If I have it ready by the competition deadline date, I'll be happy to throw my game into the ring (though if I don't have it ready by then, I'll still gladly share my game here with the community).

Though I'm not sure where / how to actually submit my game. Would I post about it here in this thread?
When / if I do submit my game, would I perhaps be able to add my game as a ZIP file attachment in a post, or would I upload the game file offsite and then provide a download link for it?

Thanks and best wishes to all.
I love retro-gaming and the Vic-20. 8)
javierglez
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by javierglez »

Vic20-Ian wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am Post here that you have an entry in progress
I'm improving the game I sent to last year's TheC64 competition. I named it "rainfall" because the map was progressively flooded by the rain and the player had to pick up some objects. But it really was more a mockup than a game.

I've changed the graphics engine and added 6 maps featuring different flooding patterns. It requires +16k and a SD2IEC or a disk drive. It is better to have JiffyDOS or SJDos (When I take out my VIC, I always use MCES 37k RAM expansion with SJDOS and a SD2IEC).
Attachments
flood_grafs_sc1-2.jpg
flood_grafs_sc5.jpg
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

What do you think about the JOLLY CARTRIDGE for the "Hardware / Peripherals" category?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10235
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
MysticSword
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MysticSword »

I'll submit my game 'Treasure Seeker' into the competition.
(I hope I'm doing this right. If not or more info is required, then let me know.)
Treasure_Seeker_04a.jpg
More about my game, and where to get it, can find at my posts at:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9974&start=30#p114780
and
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10252

Thanks and best wishes to all! :D
I love retro-gaming and the Vic-20. 8)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Ian, maybe it's me, but I don't get the whole picture in this competition :oops: .

- When will it begin?
- How many different sections are there (HW, SW games, SW other?)?
- Who can subscribe to the competition and how? Deadline?
- Is there a (partial) list of participants?
- Who will judge and how?
- Are there any prizes yet?

About the last question: if the conditions will be clear and well defined, given that I won't participate as I didn't produce anything new lately, I will be more than happy to donate one of my machines as a prize. Well, one more question BTW:

- Will the prizes be only VIC-centered, or can we offer anything retro?
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

MCes wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:30 am What do you think about the JOLLY CARTRIDGE for the "Hardware / Peripherals" category?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10235
Absolutely, yes please do!
Vic20-Ian

Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

orion70 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:06 am Ian, maybe it's me, but I don't get the whole picture in this competition :oops: .

- When will it begin?
- How many different sections are there (HW, SW games, SW other?)?
- Who can subscribe to the competition and how? Deadline?
- Is there a (partial) list of participants?
- Who will judge and how?
- Are there any prizes yet?

About the last question: if the conditions will be clear and well defined, given that I won't participate as I didn't produce anything new lately, I will be more than happy to donate one of my machines as a prize. Well, one more question BTW:

- Will the prizes be only VIC-centered, or can we offer anything retro?
Sorry for any lack of clarity. I need some help but it seems to be slowly gathering momentum.

1. It has started, I think it will need to run to end of January 2022

2. Sections - Hardware, Games, Utilities, Demo - You are the first to offer help / questions in this way. Can I press you to help set criteria and judge? Let's have a discussion to finalise on PM.

3. Enter a title or intent in this thread or post in the 2021 releases before December 31st and you will be contacted to confirm if you want to enter.

4. Some participants are confirmed in this thread, others in the releases thread will be contacted

5. I will take volunteers to help judge - If you are not entering will you help judge?

6. 4 Sealed copies of Donkey Kong by Atari and a brand new TheVic20 are prizes so far. I think any good prize will be interesting. Again this needs some thought, help, donations.
Vic20-Ian

Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

MysticSword wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:45 am I'll submit my game 'Treasure Seeker' into the competition.
(I hope I'm doing this right. If not or more info is required, then let me know.)
Treasure_Seeker_04a.jpg
More about my game, and where to get it, can find at my posts at:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9974&start=30#p114780
and
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10252

Thanks and best wishes to all! :D
Thank you for developing and entering!
Vic20-Ian

Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

javierglez wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:59 am
Vic20-Ian wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am Post here that you have an entry in progress
I'm improving the game I sent to last year's TheC64 competition. I named it "rainfall" because the map was progressively flooded by the rain and the player had to pick up some objects. But it really was more a mockup than a game.

I've changed the graphics engine and added 6 maps featuring different flooding patterns. It requires +16k and a SD2IEC or a disk drive. It is better to have JiffyDOS or SJDos (When I take out my VIC, I always use MCES 37k RAM expansion with SJDOS and a SD2IEC).
Many thanks. I look forward to testing all the entries out.
Vic20-Ian