Temple of Apshai box art

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Temple of Apshai box art

Post by doug_in_nc »

Does anyone know of there are a number of different sets of box art for Temple of Apshai? I was looking it up idly here on Denial http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki ... _front.jpg and noticed it looks rather different to the copy I have. Same basic style of art, but a clearly different front cover (mine is the one with the bug). The back cover of mine shows the Apple II version of the game and is monochrome, whereas the one on Denial shows the C64 variant in color too. A quick scan of the interwebs shows that the box I have has been used for other variants - C64 and TRS-80 at least, but I didn't find a VIC one, not that I looked very hard.
Attachments
TOA_box_front - Denial.jpg
TOA_box_front - Mine.jpg
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Re: Temple of Apshai box art

Post by ral-clan »

I've seen the box you have before, but I'm not sure exactly when EPYX changed from the earlier style (which is yours I believe) to the later style.
If you can you should add your box picture to the Denial WIKI article on Temple of Apshai.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

I don’t have access to edit the Wiki, but I have just requested it, so hopefully I will be able to add a couple of photos to the page fairly soon.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I have both. Here are the backs of the boxes, one is not on the wiki page.

From what I remember, I bought them from the US and UK, respectively. I always thought (or maybe it was told to me) that they were for the American and European market, respectively.
Attachments
IMG_20211027_070856_HDR~3.jpg
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

The Denial Wiki shows a third front of the box, which from the text on it is the German version. Whether that is the same design as used in the rest of Europe, I have no idea. The back of my box is the same as the one you showed on the right, ie one showing the Apple ][ version of the game.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

The Vic20 release I have uses the first artwork, the C64 release I did own (together with the two expansions) used the second artwork.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...