DIY Cartridges (split/OT from: Cartridge Auto Start Tips?)

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: DIY Cartridges

Post by Lechuck »

chysn wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:39 am Thanks! I burned it onto a 28C64B and it works great!
Thanks to you for letting me know. And for trying it!

Cheers
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: DIY Cartridges (split/OT from: Cartridge Auto Start Tips?)

Post by beamrider »

Yes, guess you're right.

I had the same reservations about Popeye, but that was Nintendo. I think Space Invaders has had so many clones going back to the 80s, it would be difficult for them to pursue any copyright claims since they haven't really defended it before but probably safest not to go there.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

My understanding is that Taito's parent company actually protects Space Invaders pretty vigorously, as one of the most recognizable assets in the video game industry. Licensed products (on modern mobile platforms, standalone game units, etc.) are available to this day. I'd be interested to see if they notice a VIC-20 clone. But best not to risk selling it to satisfy my idle curiosity... :D
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

beamrider wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:15 pm Yes, guess you're right.

I had the same reservations about Popeye, but that was Nintendo. I think Space Invaders has had so many clones going back to the 80s, it would be difficult for them to pursue any copyright claims since they haven't really defended it before but probably safest not to go there.
chysn wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:51 pm My understanding is that Taito's parent company actually protects Space Invaders pretty vigorously, as one of the most recognizable assets in the video game industry. Licensed products (on modern mobile platforms, standalone game units, etc.) are available to this day. I'd be interested to see if they notice a VIC-20 clone. But best not to risk selling it to satisfy my idle curiosity... :D
Yes, while it might be a very interesting experience being sued by Taito, fully agree that better not to take that route... :D

Cheers