Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Home computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair dies aged 81

Post by Lechuck »

orion70
VICtalian

Re: Home computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair dies aged 81

Post by orion70 »

May he rest in peace. A genius sui generis, an inspired mind who really contributed to the big microcomputer revolution in the Eighties - especially in the UK and Europe.

I'll get my Spectrum+ out of its box and play Ant Attack tonight.
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

RIP Sir Clive.
In 1982, the 11 year old me really wanted a 48K Spectrum, I got a VIC 20 starter pack and a 16K RAM Pack.
It didn't turn out so bad, later we got a Spectrum +3, but I preferred the VIC.
It was only 20 years ago that I finally got a 48K Spectrum, that original, rubber key model was the best, it still ain't a VIC though... :wink:

Time to crack the Speccy out of the loft, and to watch Micro Men again I think. The Home Computing Industry owed Sir Clive a great deal.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

It's sad to see the pathfinders pass on.

I remember coming home from school and finding a Timex Sinclair 1000 brochure on the kitchen table. At this point, I wanted a real computer more than anything else in the world, and the brochure suggested that my parents were actively thinking about it, so it was pretty exciting. Strangely, they never actually mentioned it. I had only this unexplained brochure upon which to pin my dreams!

Obviously, we wound up with a VIC-20 instead. By the time TS1000s were stacked to the Kmart ceiling at $29.97, family friends were just giving me their VIC-20s.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his