Computapix Cartridge for VIC-20 - What is it?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

ka20
Vic 20 Amateur

Computapix Cartridge for VIC-20 - What is it?

Post by ka20 »

I've come across this strange cartridge for the VIC-20 and I can't figure out what it is. It is labeled Computapix SuperAid C64 for Maximon VIC 20. When I plug it into my VIC, I get the screens you see below, but I still can't figure out what it is supposed to be. Also, it seems to be using a lot of screen real estate, more than my Commodore 1080 monitor can display. (Appears to be about 26 x 29 characters). Can anyone give me any info on this item? See pictures. Thank you.

srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Computapix Cartridge for VIC-20 - What is it?

Post by srowe »

I don't think the contents matches the label (although I don't recall coming across Computapix before). It looks like a program for a betting shop to calculate winnings (that's what a "settler" is apparently).

Could you take a dump of the ROM? There may be more clues in it. If the case can be opened without breaking it there may be a label on the EPROM too.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Back in 2010, I almost bought a house that was an illegal Prohibition-era (U.S.A. 1920-1933) speakeasy. It had a staircase that looked like it was going somewhere, but wasn't, to confuse the cops if they needed to run.

Maybe that's what this is! It looks like a boring utility cartridge, but it's really to facilitate illegal betting. That would be cool!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

All I can add is that Ladbroke's is a legitimate betting franchise in the UK (for placing bets on sports, etc.). It's still around:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladbrokes_Coral
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

let me know if you decide to sell it. not sure what it is supposed to be, but I like mysteries :)
0110 0110 0110 The number of the beast...
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

interesting, given the screen dimensions, it would appear to be intended for PAL which aligns with the UK related labels and Ladbrooke's betting software. The betting software itself doesn't appear to match the label though, perhaps it has been flashed with different roms?

There's a phone number, perhaps you should call for "technical advice" :D but be warned they appear to have moved into furniture now. The adjusted number 0151-548-7111 is still in use by: www.dams.com

Here is the location in streetview.

I managed to dig up this
dams_review.zip
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
review of a lightpen produced by them. It shows that Computapix was a subsidiary of Dams at one time.

Edit: Just noticed is says PixStik on the cartridge so looks like it should be the software for the lightpen in the above review.

Edit2: There's also a mention of it in Hobby-Electronics-1984 [page 10 or search for pixstik].