VEP: EPROM programmer

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

VEP: EPROM programmer

Post by srowe »

I've just got a new cartridge which doesn't seem to have been documented yet. It's a basic EPROM programmer from the '80s
audio-com-vep.jpg
I've managed to dump the EPROM that contains the programming code, which I'll start to disassemble. I'll also create a schematic for it but if anyone has the original documentation I'd be very interested.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: VEP: EPROM programmer

Post by beamrider »

Just wondered - how can it program an EPROM from the cartridge port - don't you need 18V or something to burn an eprom?
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Judging by the text in the EPROM you need to attach an external 25v power supply :shock:
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Nice find.

Part of the Audio Computers set with VCR etc.?
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Vic20-Ian wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:03 pm Nice find.

Part of the Audio Computers set with VCR etc.?
Correct, but not included in the documentation you emailed me.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Some of the traces on the board look like they acted as fuses at some time. :shock:

It's also interesting to see yet another piece of software located in the I/Ox range ($9C00 as written on the EPROM label).
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Mike wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:55 am Some of the traces on the board look like they acted as fuses at some time. :shock:
There's some damage to the solder mask (and maybe the traces under), I think that's mechanical. The one trace looks to be a change from /CRW to /VRW, I also remember this on my VCR (from the same manufacturer).
It's also interesting to see yet another piece of software located in the I/Ox range ($9C00 as written on the EPROM label).
Indeed, I've not done a detailed dissassembly yet but it seems to use BRK as a compact way of jumping back to the main processing loop.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Mike wrote:It's also interesting to see yet another piece of software located in the I/Ox range ($9C00 as written on the EPROM label).
srowe wrote:Indeed, I've not done a detailed dissassembly yet but it seems to use BRK as a compact way of jumping back to the main processing loop.
You might check against Jim Butterfield's Tinymon, which they probably extended with a small routine to program the EPROM.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I've started to reverse-engineer the ROM, there seems to be 11 commands in total

https://eden.mose.org.uk/gitweb/?p=rom- ... rs-vep.asm
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

That's definitely different from Tinymon. As you say, BRK is (mis-)used as shortcut to form the main processing loop - they could have achieved the same result with RTS and a crafted return address on stack. Conversely, the BRK handler somewhat rudely purges the stack dump except the PC, which makes it unsuitable for debug purposes. Also, commands to access mass storage are missing. One would like to save and restore the EPROM dump from disk, no?

Which makes it a somewhat crude tool. One would fare better extracting the routines that do the actual job of accessing the EPROM and expand another monitor with those routines, as transient utility perhaps.