HES Expander 20 with Penultimate+ cartridge

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

HES Expander 20 with Penultimate+ cartridge

Post by doug_in_nc »

Apologies if this question has come up before, but I didn't find anything similar when I searched for it.

I'm just getting back into the VIC 20 after an approximately 38 year break. and have picked up a nice HES 5 slot expander. I stripped it down, cleaned the contacts and rebuilt it and then tried it out, and it appears to function nicely, but I noticed some odd behavior that I wondered if anyone would explain. I was using a 16K RAM cartridge to test all of the slots and the switches to activate and disactivate them, and it behaved exactly as I would have expected it to - 19K of RAM with it active, 3.5 K without. Then I tried it with a Penultimate + cartridge, and when active it booted to the menu, as expected. However when it was deactivated, it booted to BASIC with 28K of RAM being reported, when I would have expected 3.5K. Does anyone know what this cartridge is doing that means the RAM isn't disabled in the same way that it is in a conventional RAM cartridge?.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: HES Expander 20 with Penultimate+ cartridge

Post by srowe »

Sounds like the same behaviour as akator reported in

viewtopic.php?t=10178
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

Yes, it's certainly part of the same issue as being discussed in that thread. I would suggest anyone interested in this subject just post there and ignore this one.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

O.K. then, thread locked. Please refer to the thread linked to in srowe's post.