2 pin power question

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

MrGG
Vic 20 Newbie

2 pin power question

Post by MrGG »

Hi all

(Cross post from Lemon64 -- apologies - just joined this forum - looking to learn)

Having acquired a 2-pin Vic 20 (UK) I am looking to power it.

As I understand it, the original required 9V AC at 3A -- but the original power supplies are difficult to find. So, aftermarket options:

(1) Direct replacement, 9V 3A AC and "modify" a connector
(2) A 9V 3A DC adapter

From what I read, the Vic20 will work quite happily with a 9V DC adapter - this raises some Qs:

(a) If DC is fine, does this mean the Vic20 will run cooler as the rectification is now outside the breadbin?
(b) If I use DC will that have an impact on the power passed through to edge connectors, cassette / user port etc?

(a) and (b) are the case with the Acorn Electron - it needs AC, works with DC but anything added to the expansion port might not work.

Given the choice of either powering option, which is "better" AC or DC (I appreciate that might be subjective).

Cheers
G
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: 2 pin power question

Post by srowe »

MrGG wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:37 am (b) If I use DC will that have an impact on the power passed through to edge connectors, cassette / user port etc?
Yes, the user port presents the 9V AC and certain peripherals (e.g. VIC-1011A/B RS-232 adapters) might have an issue with DC.

The tape port takes an unregulated supply from the bridge rectifier so should be OK with DC.

If you're in the UK I have a spare original PSU.
MrGG
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by MrGG »

srowe wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:27 am Yes, the user port presents the 9V AC and certain peripherals (e.g. VIC-1011A/B RS-232 adapters) might have an issue with DC.

The tape port takes an unregulated supply from the bridge rectifier so should be OK with DC.

If you're in the UK I have a spare original PSU.
That's great - thanks for the confirmation. AC it is.

Yes, I'm in wet Wales.

Original 2 pin power? That would be splendid as I would have to buy something anyway. What do you want for it?

Cheers
Glen
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

MrGG wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:20 am Original 2 pin power? That would be splendid as I would have to buy something anyway. What do you want for it?
I'll PM you.
SmakyTakyOne
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by SmakyTakyOne »

An option would be to modify a modern PSU and use an adapter for the two pin connector... I have not yet used it, but found a 3D printable connector adapter here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4678324

from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkmAbx2YLSU