Tips for Reverse Engineering a Cassette Program

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Tips for Reverse Engineering a Cassette Program

Post by Noizer »

nbla000 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:32 am Yes, it seems that works even if there is a "?LOAD ERROR" but maybe will be problems in a certain condition of the game or something else who knows.

Btw I've tried to create a prg file from both original/cleaned tape but each time it will produce a prg (from $1201 to $3FFF) with different CRC32, it works but I don't trust it.

By filling memory from 1201 to 3fff with an arbitrary value before to load the TAP, you see these value inside this range 1201/3ff and not always in the same place, for me a new dump is better.
I confirm. I would call it a bad dump. A look at the extracted waves shows innumerable glitches and streches in the waveforms. It's a miracle that it even loads. Maybe you could try editing it and converting it back to Tap. I remember nippur72 doing something like that in another case.
BR
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

Noizer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:30 am
nbla000 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:32 am Yes, it seems that works even if there is a "?LOAD ERROR" but maybe will be problems in a certain condition of the game or something else who knows.

Btw I've tried to create a prg file from both original/cleaned tape but each time it will produce a prg (from $1201 to $3FFF) with different CRC32, it works but I don't trust it.

By filling memory from 1201 to 3fff with an arbitrary value before to load the TAP, you see these value inside this range 1201/3ff and not always in the same place, for me a new dump is better.
I confirm. I would call it a bad dump. A look at the extracted waves shows innumerable glitches and streches in the waveforms. It's a miracle that it even loads. Maybe you could try editing it and converting it back to Tap. I remember
nippur72 wrote:
doing something like that in another case.
BR
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Fresh tap produced.
Boss.zip
(212.57 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
The first copy on the tape has a load error.

Fast forward to 70 on the tape counter and the second copy on the tape loads without errors.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

I have extracted 'header.prg' and 'main.prg' from your tape and added a loader program, 'boot.prg': (download).

Decompress the *.zip archive to a directory on a SD-Card for SD2IEC or transfer the three files with their full filenames (i.e. including the '.prg' file name extension) to a disk. Then, run the file 'boot.prg'.
kevgal
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by kevgal »

Gday guys, here is the PRG version which requires 16k ram at blocks 1+2
Boss Chess.zip
And the Cart version (also requires 16K ram)-
Boss Chess Cart.zip
S1 to S9 set difficulty (s9 took over 2 hours to make a move!)

I think some of the issues with the tape version are due to part of the program residing in the cassette buffer.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

kevgal wrote:I think some of the issues with the tape version are due to part of the program residing in the cassette buffer.
In my post preceding yours I just happened to provide a version of BOSS 1.5 - transferred from Vic20-Ian's tape - that addressed this issue. ;)
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

The code in the cassette buffer is only copy protection, it's not part of the actual program.
kevgal
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by kevgal »

I was wondering if it was only for copy protection.
I actually used the header and the main prgs from Mike’s version to make the single PRG.
Thanks Mike.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

kevgal wrote:I actually used the header and the main prgs from Mike’s version to make the single PRG.
Your one-file rework came at the expense that the game now needs +16K RAM to load - the original and my 3-file version are content with +8K RAM expansion. You also got the load address wrong: BASIC programs or BASIC stubs load to $1201 with +8K RAM or more, not $1200.

Regarding the first point, it should be fairly easy to use Exomizer to produce a compressed single file version that successfully loads into +8K RAM and puts both tape buffer contents and main program into place. For my part, I considered the job done by providing a proved working rip from Vic20-Ian's tape. :mrgreen:
kevgal
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by kevgal »

Yep should have left out the superfluous byte at 1200, my main aim was to create a cart version for my multi carts, it would be good to squeeze it into 8k.
I’ll have to checkout this exomiser app that you mentioned.
kevgal
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by kevgal »

I've cheated a bit but here's a version that only needs 8k ram (still need 16k cart though unfortunately)
Boss Chess (8k).zip
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

kevgal wrote:(still need 16k cart though unfortunately)
Your latest executable should actually work with just a +8K RAM expansion. Or did you mean 8K ROM (in BLK5) and 8K RAM (in BLK1)?
I've cheated a bit [...]
The idea is good (using the screen at $1100 as temporary place for the tape buffer contents and a small routine that copies those data into the tape buffer before control is handed over to the main program) - the execution isn't. If a user modifies the bottom half of the screen before RUN, your newest version again barfs. It now also *requires* to be loaded with ",8,1".

The Right Thing™ to do was preparing a memory dump from $1100..$3FFF, with aforementioned contents and let Exomizer work on that (with -n to suppress the blinking "@" in the bottom-right corner - you don't want that to modify the screen contents either).

After I already provided a guaranteed working version of the game I am somewhat annoyed about those 'improvements' you tried. People that happen to stumble across this thread are now probably unsure about what version to download now. I am not going to repair your non-working downloads. What I provided in this post works. Period.