Funny notch in cartridge port

Discuss anything related to the VIC
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bbell »

carlsson wrote:Does the motherboard in a NTSC C64 sit higher from the case than on PAL, requiring the top half to be more rounded in the holes?
Hmmm, looking at your picture it looks like the C64 motherboard is resting right on the bottom plastic, however on the two VIC's you posted and on the NTSC 64 picture I posted, the plastic is raised where the board rests at the cassette and user port (about 1cm in from the back), so probably the whole board is raised.
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

Here's an interesting tit-bit. I've been creating a VIC-20C. This required me to enlarge the cartrige hole. And guess what? After I'd made the hole just right, there's a small notch left exactly where you show it on the VICs! :o
Jaicen
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Jaicen »

A VIC20C?? I'm guessing that means you're putting a VIC into a C64C case?? Sounds cool, especially if you use it a lot. Those breadbin cases are definitely not ergonomic!

Back on the subject of the funny notches, i'm 110% certain that it's down to using the same moulds as the C64 to save money. As has been suggessted, if someone could open up one of the 'notched' cases i'll bet they'll find that the cases are stamped Y4 on the inside.
So far, i've seen three distinct case types:
1: The earliest with non-bevelled tops. Only fits VIC20
2: Smaller case with part bevelled ports (not top) and notch. Common to the C64
3: Final case with bevelled top of ports. I believe this one also has different mounting holes inside for the second revision of the motherboard.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Jaicen wrote:Those breadbin cases are definitely not ergonomic!
It helps a lot to put something in front of the vic to rest your hands on. For example an old empty 12-egg package is perfect ;)
http://www.intcul.tohoku.ac.jp/okada/UK ... C00226.JPG
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

[quote="Jaicen"]A VIC20C?? I'm guessing that means you're putting a VIC into a C64C case?? Sounds cool, especially if you use it a lot. Those breadbin cases are definitely not ergonomic!

You guessed correct. I don't spend a lot of time at the keyboard, but I'm just looking for cool hacks that I can do. I'd like to say that I came up with the idea, but I got it from someone elses home page pictures. :oops: From memory it was black, so if you're reading this, make yourself known and take a bow. [Edit: I just found it...it vwasn't black it was green, and was the creation of Vic User.]

Also, I'm hopig that it will give me a bit more internal space to build in a memory expansion. I'd like to fit at least 64k of bank switched RAM. Also, imagine having internal battery backed RAM for loading cart images into. 8)
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I'd like to say that I came up with the idea, but I got it from someone elses home page pictures. Embarassed From memory it was black, so if you're reading this, make yourself known and take a bow.
i don't think it was my page you were talking about, but i have been using a 64C case for my vic for quite a while now:

http://web.ncf.ca/ex809/pic1.gif

i just love the style of the 64C case.

the pic above is about a year old and my setup has changed somewhat, but not too much.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

:shock: What an amazing setup!
Jaicen
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Jaicen »

Now that is cool, I really like to see VIC's that haven't yellowed, they look great. Not sold on the Green casing, but it certainly looks like a tidy job.
I'm pretty interested to note that you don't have any C64's in sight either, i'd expected at least one dirty little indulgence ;)
With regards to the RAM expansion, it's possible to add RAM internally, either Piggybacked or on a board. There's plenty of room inside the case, especially if you have a shortboard model. Best of all, this way you don't tie up the expansion port.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

the paint i used was krylon fusion spray paint, on the advice of schema.

if you want to 'restore' the white look to a vic, i suggest 'rocky road' colour of the fusion paint...

it's not exactly like the commodore colour, but pretty darn close.

i never thought of putting the RAM inside the case, neat idea.

my current prog. environment is the 64C case (i went back to all white :) , with the 80 column card sending output to a zenith monochrome monitor, the A/V output from the vic going to a b&w tv and to some speakers, with an expansion board with the extension cable running 3K RAM and prog. aid. cart, then two 1541 drives, a tape drive, and printer.

then that mchine is connected via the user port to another vic.

total heaven for me.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Nice table!
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

vic user wrote:my current prog. environment is the 64C case (i went back to all white :) , with the 80 column card sending output to a zenith monochrome monitor, the A/V output from the vic going to a b&w tv and to some speakers, with an expansion board with the extension cable running 3K RAM and prog. aid. cart, then two 1541 drives, a tape drive, and printer.

then that mchine is connected via the user port to another vic.

total heaven for me.
I have seen VIC-USER's setup first-hand and can attest that it's pretty sweet! Mine's pretty nice too, thanks to some donations (80-col monitor) and ideas (monitor stand made from old PC case) from VIC-USER himself. (pic) http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/vic/vic.jpg
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Did anyone consider making a VIC20-SK? That is, putting the keyboard in one box and the motherboard into another, connected with some cable like e.g. the C128 or those separate-keyboard PETs? It is fully possible to do, just like making a VIC-20 tower.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

the closest i came to anything like that, was when i took a carboard box, cut around to make a carboard table, had the vic board still attached to the bottom part of the case under the 'table' and had the cable to the keybaord run up to the top of the 'table' where i put the keyboard on.

it was my attempt to create a lot of air flow for the vic, but i abandoned it because it didn't look very nice.

maybe i should have painted the cardboard :)
Jaicen
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Jaicen »

I'd considered doing the very same thing!
In my local Maplin's they have a lovely long low alu box which looks to me as though it' exactly the right size for the motherboard. My case is all yellowed so it could have been a great idea. I know where to get 'blank' keyboard enclosures as well so I could have made a nice housing for the keyboard and it would have been pretty comfortable.
Unfortunately the VIC is all but dead, so it never got anywhere. Bit of a rubbish story really...
EDIT: I forgot! Vic User, why didn't you swap the keyboard from the C64C for the brown VIC one? You could have put that in a VIC case then and you would have had two very handsome machines!
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i hope you supply pics once you are finished.

i prefer the white keys over the brown keys, so i went with the white keys.

my fav. vic, which i hardly ever use because it is my fav., is in a breadbox case with white keys. it reminds me so much of a medical computer that you would (i think anyway) find in one of the Dr. Who episodes, "the invisible enemy", on the hospital asteroid.

all except one of my C64's now have brown keys :)

i don't care about the C64's very much, and only use them to transfer vic files to my pc and also whenever my daughter wants to play pac land.

ironically, i have WAY more C64 stuff than vic stuff :roll:

one of my vic's has all white keys except for the number keys, which i kept brown. it looks pretty funky.