Softloading wAx with a VIC-1111, how? (split from: Wanted: VicMon cart or similar)

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Brad
Vic 20 Drifter

Softloading wAx with a VIC-1111, how? (split from: Wanted: VicMon cart or similar)

Post by Brad »

chysn wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:15 pm wAx was largely a response to my Kafkaesque experiences with VICmon. The newer wAx video manual playlist is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObDbgTE ... pz7Y0RTM89. There have been many changes between the first demo and the final version of July 2020. The up-to-date documentation is here https://github.com/Chysn/VIC20-wAx/wiki.

For full VIC-20 development, you'll eventually want to use a cross-assembler like XA or Acme on your modern computer, while using a native assembler for testing and debugging. I'm confident that wAx is the best native assembler package ever released for the VIC-20, offering a wide variety of data entry tools (text, hex, decimal, binary) and shortcuts (labels and forward branch resolution), and it can be used as a complete development environment.
Brad wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:48 am It's got me thinking though, about how difficult it is to make your own cartridges... to the search engine!
You've found the right place to get information on that!
Hi @chysn

I've assembled wzx4k, and added the Vic header as per the instructions. Transferred to a micro sd that I use in a Pi1541 drive I have. Done a load "wax4k",8,1 and an sys 6*4096.

This gives a ready prompt but none of the monitor commands work e.g.

gives "Syntax Error"

Where am I likely to have gone wrong? BTW I tried this unexpanded and with a 16 expansion plugged in, same result.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Softloading wAx with a VIC-1111, how? (split from: Wanted: VicMon cart or similar)

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Brad,

your memory expansion needs to be in Block 3 $6000-$7FFF.

If you have a commodore 8K ram pack it may be possible to reassign the ram pack to block 3 with a jumper inside.

I tested the Wax 4K on Vice and it runs with just block 3 or with 24k in blocks 1,2 & 3.

If you do not see the "Beigemaze.com/wax" message it is not running

Best regards,
Ian
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Brad
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: Softloading wAx with a VIC-1111, how? (split from: Wanted: VicMon cart or similar)

Post by Brad »

Thanks Ian.

I have a commodore 16K expansion and too new to the tech details to know which of these so called "blocks" it's assigned to ;-)

I'll investigate. With a bit of reading up I expect I could build a version that sat in a different spot iun memory and get it going that way.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Brad wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:17 am Where am I likely to have gone wrong? BTW I tried this unexpanded and with a 16 expansion plugged in, same result.
What Ian said. But to expand (heh heh) on it a bit: The 16K expander, by default, occupies $2000-$5FFF. If you open the thing up, and flip switch 2 to ON on one of the DIP switches, you'll move one of the 8K blocks to $6000-$7FFF. wAx will take $6000-$6FFF, and you'll have an extra 8K for BASIC (or ML).

http://cini.classiccmp.org/pdf/Commodor ... Memory.pdf

Or, if you don't want to muck about with opening a cartridge, I'll do a build of wAx at $5000 and post it here.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Brad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Brad »

No dip switches in my cartridge! It's the Vic-1111 and just had it apart. Just some soldered chips and that's it. Checked both sides of the board.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

No worries, here's the build at $5000, attached.

Do this

Code: Select all

LOAD "WAX4K-5000.PRG",8,1
SYS 20480
↑ 12 50 NEW
The last line is semi-optional, but will protect wAx from BASIC by setting the start- and end-of-BASIC pointers. (Post is corrected from an earlier version that placed BASIC over the screen; thanks, Mike)
Attachments
wax4k-5000.prg.zip
(3.45 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Last edited by chysn on Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

he/him/his
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

There are traces on the board with little circles. You can fit a dip switch or you can bridge with solder / cut as appropriate.

I think the 8K ones had a switch iirc

Or just use Vice for now.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Brad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Brad »

chysn wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:13 am No worries, here's the build at $5000, attached.

Do this

LOAD "WAX4K-5000.PRG",8,1
SYS 20480
↑ 10 50 NEW
The last line is semi-optional, but will protect wAx from BASIC by setting the start- and end-of-BASIC pointers.
Muchas gracias Amigo! All working great.
Brad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Brad »

Vic20-Ian wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:17 am There are traces on the board with little circles. You can fit a dip switch or you can bridge with solder / cut as appropriate.

I think the 8K ones had a switch iirc

Or just use Vice for now.
Yes, linked PDF states the 8k boards had dip switches
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

chysn wrote:

↑ 10 50 NEW
As the screen RAM is located at $1000 with a >=+8K RAM expansion, with BASIC starting at $1201, shouldn't that be

↑ 12 50 NEW
?
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Mike wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:15 pm
chysn wrote:

↑ 10 50 NEW
As the screen RAM is located at $1000 with a >=+8K RAM expansion, with BASIC starting at $1201, shouldn't that be

↑ 12 50 NEW
?
Goodness, yes!

You can tell that I only work on unexpanded VIC!

Side note: Everybody should play with BASIC in screen memory at least once. It's highly entertaining for a few minutes.

he/him/his
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

(Another side note: the NEW is also not necessary here, since $1200 is already set up by BASIC

↑ 12 50
)

he/him/his