RAM expansions

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

RAM expansions

Post by necronom »

Since I only have 16k (Vixen switchable), I was going to get the MAXRAM+ from TFW8B, but after seeing it, the very next day it went out of stock before I bought one, and now they might not be any more.
I've looked on eBay and can see a £15 board based on Ruud's design, but it uses DIP switches, which is one of the things I wanted to get away from. I think you can switch these ones without removing the cart, which is vastly better, but the other one used software to change the settings, and was very similar to the Penultimate cart (which is far too expensive for me).
Are these cheap ones any good? I suppose they are all exactly the same apart from some use software and some use switches, but all do the same and would let me play all games (cart dumps, 32k games, etc).
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: RAM expansions

Post by chysn »

MCes makes expansion cartridges. They're well-made and reasonably-priced. For example:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9802
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8582

If you want to play cartridge dumps, it's a good idea to have one that allows you to make block 5 read-only, so that copy protection code doesn't trip you up. Absent that, a lot of ROM dumps are modified to fix that issue.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: RAM expansions

Post by necronom »

Thanks for your help, that's great. I saw one earlier that mentioned the write protect, and wondered what it was for.

The FULL-RAM one looks good, so I think I'll go for that, and the reset switch will be very good to have. The DIP switches are a bit of a pain, but at least you can change them without removal. Getting the Vixen cart in the Vic is a nightmare. I remember it was when I had my original Vic and Vixen, so it must be normal.