Compatibility issues between1541 real/emulated and SD2IEC drives (...Split from VicSAM without SID)

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Compatibility issues between1541 real/emulated and SD2IEC drives (...Split from VicSAM without SID)

Post by Noizer »

Hi! I often heard about ...
nbla000 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:25 am I guess that this turbo works with real/emulated 1541 drive only (maybe 1571 too) not with SD2IEC drives, for SD2IEC drives you have to use SJLOAD.
Regardless of the described, what are finally the differences between 1541 real/emulated and SD2IEC drives and how could software developers take account of these?
BR
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
nbla000
Salmon Run

Re: Compatibility issues between1541 real/emulated and SD2IEC drives (...Split from VicSAM without SID)

Post by nbla000 »

I don't remember well, maybe I'm not exact but the concept is that Real/Emulated 1541/1571/1581 drives have an internal routine in a RAM portion that you can overwrite with m-w command to write your routine from the CBM machine (Vic-20/C64/C16/etc/etc) and this is the method that all "classic" Fastloaders use to speedup drive, SD2IEC drives use a rom derived from JiffyDOS, so you may speedup it by installing the JiffyDos chip on your CBM machine or by using SJLOAD like I do with Mega-Cart.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Compatibility issues between1541 real/emulated and SD2IEC drives (...Split from VicSAM without SID)

Post by groepaz »

what are finally the differences between 1541 real/emulated and SD2IEC drives and how could software developers take account of these?
sd2iec is not a floppy drive emulator - it does not emulate the CPU that is in a 1541 drive, so whatever program tries to upload code to the drive will not work. typically that includes all sorts of fastloaders, but also some demos that use the drive as a coprocessor. it does also not emulate the floppy memory so stuff accessing the buffers in a 1541 specific way may also not work correctly.

for sd2iec compatibility, software developers may want to use kernal functions only, that will always work.
SD2IEC drives use a rom derived from JiffyDOS
no. it uses no "rom" in that sense at all. it supports a few fastloader protocols natively, one of which is jiffydos.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Thanks for your explanations as ever :!:
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

Thanks @groepaz and @nbla000.
Is it known which loaders are compatible with Sd2iec?
BR
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Noizer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:35 am Thanks @groepaz and @nbla000.
Is it known which loaders are compatible with Sd2iec?
BR
For the Vic-20 SJLOAD (software) or JiffyDos Chip (Hardware)

Information taken from the sd2iec firmware wiki,
faq 1: Are fastloaders supported?
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

I'd just look at its README: https://www.sd2iec.de/gitweb/?p=sd2iec. ... ME;hb=HEAD (scroll down, there is a list somewhere)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.