Boray Gammon 64 - now with 1351 mouse support

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Boray Gammon 64 - now with 1351 mouse support

Post by Boray »

PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Boray Gammon 64 - now with 1351 mouse support

Post by tokra »

With the Micromys V5-adapter you could also add mouse-support to the VIC-20-version:

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Micromys_V5

This device allows you to connect PS/2-mice to the VIC-20 and as the documentation says:

"While the original 1351 mouse will not work with the VIC-20, this mode will. It works the same as the 1351 mode at the C-64. This is the default (and recommended) mode for VIC-20."

Also yours would be the first game to support this :mrgreen:
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

It's the Micromys V5 that I have bought. But adding support for it in the vic-20 version would be quite different because the c64 version uses a sprite (and actually Commodore's own mouse driver).
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Boray wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:04 pm It's the Micromys V5 that I have bought. But adding support for it in the vic-20 version would be quite different because the c64 version uses a sprite (and actually Commodore's own mouse driver).
I didn't realise the C64 had 'drivers' ?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

beamrider wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:34 pm
I didn't realise the C64 had 'drivers' ?
It's on the disk that came with the 1351 mouse. Maybe it's not called a driver but it's a routine letting you easily use the mouse, one version for the c64 and one for the c128... sounds very much like a driver :D
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

beamrider wrote:I didn't realise the C64 had 'drivers'?
For sure the routine in question can be categorized as driver! It interfaces to a certain hardware, runs in the background, and it is *not* statically linked into a certain client program but works with essentially arbitrary applications that want to inquire the mouse co-ordinates.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I put together my own version of the driver here:
http://www.boray.se/commodore/single-ba ... driver.prg

Advantages over the original:
* One file instead of three which means your basic program won't be dependent of external files.
* The sprite is put in the tape buffer instead of in the middle of the basic memory (which gets overwritten by a big program).
* Includes basic example of reading coordinates and mouse clicks.
* Auto detection if the mouse is connected or not.