Public Domain software disks/libraries for the VIC-20

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Tjo-plask
Vic 20 Newbie

Public Domain software disks/libraries for the VIC-20

Post by Tjo-plask »

Hi. I've been searching the internet for some sources of Public Domain (PD) software from the early 1980ies - predominantly written in BASIC - without any success.

For the C64, the site cbm8bit.com is an excellent source for such things but I haven't managed to find any VIC-20 files there and no other site on the internet where such collections or libraries for the VIC-20 can be found. I'd be surprised if there aren't any - it's probably just me being completely useless at searching.

The ones I am particularly interested in are those that were once sold in collections (like VIC-20 Collection #8 and so on) by Public Domain Inc. in 1984 or 1985.

Does anyone have any ideas for me on where to look?
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Public Domain software disks/libraries for the VIC-20

Post by Mike »

Tjo-plask wrote:Does anyone have any ideas for me on where to look?
Did you try https://www.commodoreserver.com/?

There, the PD disks at Home » Public Disks » Public Root > PD, with ####LL.d64 (# = digit, L = letter) might just be the ones you are searching for. These disks contain a mixture of VIC-20 and C64 programs, so you will have to check out in detail which of those programs actually run on the VIC-20.
Tjo-plask
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: Public Domain software disks/libraries for the VIC-20

Post by Tjo-plask »

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I'll definitely browse through these files and see what they contain.

best regards,