New game in progress: Breakaway

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

The Geek on Skates
Vic 20 Drifter

New game in progress: Breakaway

Post by The Geek on Skates »

Last weekend, I spent a few hours working on a new game for the unexpanded VIC-20, a hockey game! You control a guy who can move up or down, on the left-hand side of the screen, and other guys come at you from the right. Eventually I plan to add a goalie you try to score on (like after 2-3 seconds of dodging the other guys you get a shot at the net). Here are a couple screenshots:
87D34E62-2C8E-437A-9729-3AE484A086ED.png
87D34E62-2C8E-437A-9729-3AE484A086ED.png (11.29 KiB) Viewed 364 times
7E81DD7E-6BFB-41F5-9837-F2BE4836E65A.png
7E81DD7E-6BFB-41F5-9837-F2BE4836E65A.png (11.25 KiB) Viewed 364 times
This is my first attempt at a VIC-20 game, written in C using the cc65 compiler. I also have a little library in progress (mostly just wrapping POKE calls or defining constants for memory addresses, but with a couple other things like a joystick-reading function - sorry, don't mean to get technical here lol). Anyway, when the title screen shows up there's a cool little intro tune, and I have the player moving. This weekend, I hope to be able to spend some time on the AI logic for the opponents, and (ideally) start on the goalie. I'm not sure what the object of the game will end up looking like; I think it will either be "how many goals can you score in X minutes" or "how many can you score before you get hit". I think the decision will ultimately be dictated by RAM, but either way it's been a really fun project. I'll post on here again when it's done! :)

(mod: link to title screen repaired)
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: New game in progress: Breakaway

Post by hasseapa »

Best of luck, Vic certainly is in dire need of more sport games!

There are very few, but a hockey game was actually ported a few years ago viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8274&p=90936&hilit ... ick#p90685

Quite different from your game though.
aitsch
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by aitsch »

It's looking fine so far.
I'm curious about the finished version.

p.s.: the link to title screen doesn't work.

(mod: link to title screen repaired)
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

Like how it's looking so far.
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
The Geek on Skates
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by The Geek on Skates »

Thanks for the feedback, and also for the link to that other game! I'm definitely going to check it out.

I did some work on it today, mostly reworking the drawing logic (I was getting a lot of artifacts for when the opponents went off-screen, a problem which I'm close to solving - maybe next weekend lol). I also added a little more music, and have up to 8 opponents on the screen at once (which is ridiculous to anyone who knows hockey, but so far is making for better gameplay). The 3 square waves together, playing the same note on the third octave, really do sound like the kind of organ music you'd expect to hear at a hockey game; we'll see if I really have the RAM for it, but if nothing else it works for the intro tune. I'm also trying to figure out the noise channel (how to use it to actually make recognizable sounds instead of just static), so I still have a long way to go. Anyway, I will let you know when it's done. :)