VIC-20 Floppy Games/Software

Discuss anything related to the VIC
grondinm
Vic 20 Amateur

VIC-20 Floppy Games/Software

Post by grondinm »

So recently got my VIC. Thinking about getting a 1541 disk drive. Is it worth it? I tried looking on ebay for old games or software on floppies for the VIC and did not find much. Maybe my search terms are not correct. Should i look elsewhere? Should i just go for the sd2iec device instead? I plan on getting one of those at some point but i think it would be nice to have a more complete vintage setup. VIC+Dataset+1541. If i could get my hands on a printer that would be ultimate!
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: VIC-20 Floppy Games/Software

Post by srowe »

If you get a 1541 (or any other drive) you might have issues getting it to work. After 40 years there's a bunch of mechanical and electronic failure that can occur, most can be fixed but that takes time and effort.

Using a real drive limits you to physical media, either original (which for the VIC was rare) or that you create yourself. Even blank floppies are harder to find these days (and can also fail).

An SD based device is convenient, you can put enormous amounts on to even a 1GB card. They are not 100% compatible with a real device but the benefits mean I've not bothered getting my 1541 out of the attic for some years.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

There were very few games released on disk back in the day for the Vic. Lots of tapes have been converted to D64 though so any device capable of playing them (and very few fast loaders too) should be fine such as SD2IEC.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

There are also quite a lot of *new* games and other programs for the VIC-20 that are intended to run from floppy, but most of them will also quite happily run from a SD2IEC.
DarwinNE
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by DarwinNE »

I have a SD2IEC that I use with my Commodore computers. It works very well with the VIC20 and it is a very useful companion to the system.
I recently acquired a 1541-II that also works fine with the VIC20. I use floppy disks from time to time and it is nice to have a drive available (I also have a C128D with an internal 1571).
However, if you don't have any floppy disks to use, I would definitely begin with buying a SD2IEC, that will allow to run new games.