Minor problem with the Tape unit in my VIC-20

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Minor problem with the Tape unit in my VIC-20

Post by Lechuck »

Hi,

I recently got my old VIC-20 from my mother's house and found that it works exactly as it did almost 40 years ago. And at that time (same as now) I had a minor problem that I'd like to fix now, if it is not too complex. The problem is that, when I try to load anything from the casette unit, by typing "LOAD", it doesn't show me the 'PRESSS PLAY ON TAPE' but directly shows "LOADING" message. Something similar happens if I try to save anything. Appart from that, both, LOAD and SAVE processes work OK.

Have you ever found this problem?. If so, do you know where the problem might be?.

Thanks!
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Minor problem with the Tape unit in my VIC-20

Post by srowe »

It could either be the switch in the cassette deck is shorted or a fault in the VIA which it connects to.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Thanks for your quick response!. Problem doesn’t seem to be in the cassette because I have same behaviour even if I try “LOAD” without pluging-in the cassette. So, I guess I’d need to replace one of the VIAs (I’ve seen in other posts that they can be replaced by W65C22N). Only problem is that the PCB doesn’t have sockets so I’d need to desolder/solder... will start by ordering the chips...

Thanks again!
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Just check the motherboard first, in case there's some custom mod or loose screw etc that's shorting F,6

http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki ... _tape_port

With PA6 on UAB3.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Ok, thanks. Will follow the circuit from UAB3, PA6 to the cassette port to be sure it is ‘clean’. I don’t expect to find any custom mod since I got this VIC-20 brand new and never modified it.

Cheers