Beta testing for a text adventure game under development

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

DarwinNE
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Beta testing for a text adventure game under development

Post by DarwinNE »

Thank you for the correction, Mike. I am not fond of the datassette and I never used .t64 nor .tap files, so I was unable to tell the difference between them until now.
Mike wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:10 am IMO, DarwinNE, there's nothing wrong with friendly turning down kokkiklhs's request. The game is multi-file and that makes it inherently unsuitable for a tape version.
It would require three different loaders (each for each part) that basically have the menu selection removed. Not very practical, indeed. And very long waits. For the tape versions I prepared for the ZXSpectrum, situation was easier to manage as I hadn't to had to take into account the BLK5 memory as I did on the 32K expanded VIC.

I may still give a try if I find some practical command line tools for packaging tape files a day or another.
DarwinNE
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by DarwinNE »

kokkiklhs wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:24 am Yes, I'm talking about 3 standalone parts, able to load on emulators and also on real hardware, after transferring to tape.
You'd only have to exclude the starting menu and the disk loading routines that follow...
You can give a try by yourself if you want, you can extract files from the D64 disk image. The current loader is not tied to device 8, it gets from location $BA (dec 186) the last used device. So I think if you load the loader from tape, it will work from tape. But I never tested it, I did this way as I have a SD2IEC that is always device 9 and I don't like loaders that take for granted that the only disk existing is device 8.

For each part, the loader first loads the himem#.bin files at the correct location and then the game part. Of course, the menu selection of the part you want to play will not be usable as it will be determined by your position on the tape.

If that works, I can provide you three separate loaders that can be used to load each different part.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

One other small complication: the KERNAL tape routines can't handle stuff above $7FFF (i.e. the part in BLK5) ...
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Mike wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:56 am One other small complication: the KERNAL tape routines can't handle stuff above $7FFF (i.e. the part in BLK5) ...
This is true of the tape save routine, I'm not sure it affects the tape load routine.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

srowe wrote:This is true of the tape save routine, I'm not sure it affects the tape load routine.
Doesn't help when one can't save the data to tape in the first place. If that requires a custom tape save routine we're well beyond reason except for supporting kokkiklhs's request for a hard-core retro experience.
DarwinNE wrote:I am not fond of the datassette [...]
I have a somewhat dedicated opinion on that matter indeed: viewtopic.php?t=8699&start=8&hilit=club, and to quote from there:
Mike wrote:You can count on that every VIC-20 user actively pursuing this hobby has a feasible mass storage solution at his hands.

If someone complains being stuck with tape, sorry. He's just not in the 'club', so to speak. Even having the biggest (RAM) cartridge in the back of the VIC-20 isn't going to help to get anything big done, given the transfer rates of tape.
Just my 2 cents
kokkiklhs
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by kokkiklhs »

DarwinNE wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:40 am You can give a try by yourself if you want, you can extract files from the D64 disk image. The current loader is not tied to device 8, it gets from location $BA (dec 186) the last used device. So I think if you load the loader from tape, it will work from tape. But I never tested it, I did this way as I have a SD2IEC that is always device 9 and I don't like loaders that take for granted that the only disk existing is device 8.

For each part, the loader first loads the himem#.bin files at the correct location and then the game part. Of course, the menu selection of the part you want to play will not be usable as it will be determined by your position on the tape.

If that works, I can provide you three separate loaders that can be used to load each different part.
I have already tried, before I posted here! :mrgreen:
But it didn't work for me, I don't know the reason...

As for the mass storage solution, I already have a 1541 and a SD2IEC, I just like tapes better with such very old machines as the VIC, I know I'm a pervert... :lol:

Anyway, thank you all for your time, I surely don't want you to bother yourselves with my request, just thought it might be something very simple and easily done for an experienced programmer... If it isn't, let's just forget about a potential tape version, I could happily live with only the D64...
:)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

kokkiklhs wrote:[...] it didn't work for me, I don't know the reason ...
The reason your own attempt didn't succeed is very likely laid out in the three posts preceding yours.
[...] I surely don't want you to bother yourselves with my request [...]
Thanks, but you already did that with a request that ultimately turned out not to be necessary at all. :roll:
DarwinNE
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by DarwinNE »

kokkiklhs wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:55 am Anyway, thank you all for your time, I surely don't want you to bother yourselves with my request.
No problem! I naively thought it was easier, at a first glance.