{Got one!}WTB NTSC VIC-20

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

mathom
Vic 20 Dabbler

{Got one!}WTB NTSC VIC-20

Post by mathom »

I've been thinking on this one for a while. I got rid of my original VIC-20 (bought it early enough to have paid the full boat $300 bucks for it) years ago because it died and I had no idea how to go about fixing it. Too bad all the currently available info wasn't so easy to come by back then. Although I really don't need another project or another computer, I would really like to have "The Real Thing."

I'm in the U.S. (Denver, Colorado area to be exact) and would want an NTSC machine. I'd like it to be working. I don't need it to be "pretty". And (of course) I would like it to not cost an arm and a leg.

Barring anyone here having something available, what would be a reasonable price for such a beast on eBay? I've bought my share of stuff on eBay, but man the prices for vintage tech seem all over the place.

Any help or pointers appreciated.

...mathom...
Last edited by mathom on Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...mathom...
eightbit
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: WTB NTSC VIC-20

Post by eightbit »

I say take a chance for an "untested" Vic-20 on ebay just as long as the price reflects that. I purchased one untested last week for $70 with datasette, two carts and all hookups. It was also a much older (77K serial number) model with the PET style keyboard.

It works perfectly and was really clean aside from the most yellowed case I have ever seen. Even multiple rounds of Retrobrite did not get it fully out, but it looks pretty good now.

If you get a real stinker that really does not work you can always speak to someone like Ray Carlsen to see if he can offer advice or repair.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

There is someone selling an NTSC VIC-20 in the thread just below this.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Hi, Mathom,

Send me a private e-mail, and we could help you out with fixing up your VIC-20 or getting you another one.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan