First steps in ML (split/OT from: Vixen - [...])

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: First steps in ML (split/OT from: Vixen - [...])

Post by chysn »

srowe wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:13 am That still occupies 3 bytes and takes 5/6 cycles when a JMP only takes 3 cycles. Having relocatable code isn't usually worth that.
Correct, it usually is not. One exception may be if you're writing code that generates code, a relative branch would prevent you from having to calculate offsets in your code-generating code. But, yeah, normally it's an unnecessary exercise.

That said, most people aren't going to notice waiting around for a few extra millionths of a second.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

srowe wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:13 am That still occupies 3 bytes and takes 5/6 cycles when a JMP only takes 3 cycles. Having relocatable code isn't usually worth that.
Yes and no, knowing the opinions one have can speedup things if the code have to process some amount of data, or even better, when another application is waiting the outputs to start own processing
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Noizer wrote:Yes and no, knowing the opinions one have can speedup things if the code have to process some amount of data, or even better, when another application is waiting the outputs to start own processing
That sounds very interesting! Could you elaborate further, preferably with example code that highlights the respective merits?
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

You can often use a relative branch that relies on a condition you know to be true, or have set up true at the start of the loop, thus avoiding the 2 cycle overhead of a CLC/CLV.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Kweepa wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:33 pm You can often use a relative branch that relies on a condition you know to be true, or have set up true at the start of the loop, thus avoiding the 2 cycle overhead of a CLC/CLV.
My practice in assembly language is to comment almost every instruction, or at least comment every related group of instructions. This kind of optimization is okay as long as you comment it. Future You will be so grateful to Past You for this considerate act. Something like this for branches is what I'd consider a natural and elegant replacement for JMP:

Code: Select all

; Draw character specified at index X on screen if Carry is clear, or
; the previous character if Carry is set
Draw:       bcc new             ; Carry clear, so get a new character
            lda previous        ; otherwise, get the previous character
            bcs finish          ; (carry still set from call)
new:        lda table,x         ; Find the character in the table
finish:     etc...        
In the context of the code, the BCS is "unconditional," because the condition is known. It's really a form of "else". In other cases, if you're relying on a side effect of another operation, the trick might seem more tenuous. In these cases, consider indicating your awareness by commenting out an explicit flag operation:

jsr init            ; Initialize the hardware
            ;clc                ; init subroutine always exits with Carry clear
            bcc next
Then, if the underlying assumption of the side effect changes at some point (because you have to change the subroutine, for example) you'll at least know what was going on. You won't drive yourself mad looking for the reason for a failure to branch.

A similar potential for optimization is to look for necessary flag states for arithmetic. Here, commenting is just as important:

-loop:      lda #$00
            sta CHARAC
            ldy #$05            ; Each character encoded in five bits, shifted
shift_l:    lda #$00            ;   as a 24-bit register into CHARAC, which
            asl MNEM+1          ;   winds up as a ROT0 code (A=1 ... Z=26)
            rol MNEM            ;   ,,
            rol CHARAC          ;   ,,
            dey
            bne shift_l
            lda CHARAC
            ;clc                ; Carry is clear from the last ROL
            adc #"@"            ; Get the PETSCII character
            jsr CharOut
I know that Carry is clear before ADC because there can never be enough iterations to cause ROL CHARAC to set Carry, and I rely on this when performing ADC. But because I do CLC before ADC as a matter of convention, I put it in my code and comment it out, and explain why I did that.

So, yes, by all means use side effects to make code smaller. Sometimes you must have that byte in a VIC-20. But don't for a minute think that you'll understand why you did this a week later!
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

he/him/his
Robbie
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Robbie »

I guess this is why 68k came up with 'BRA'.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

chysn wrote:A similar potential for optimization is to look for necessary flag states for arithmetic. Here, commenting is just as important:

[...]
If the value in CHARAC isn't used elsewhere later, you can keep it in A throughout the loop:

-loop:      lda #$00
            ldy #$05

shift_l:    asl MNEM+1          ; Each character encoded in five bits, shifted 
            rol MNEM            ; as a 24-bit register (A/MNEM/MNEM+1) into A, 
            rol a               ; which winds up as a ROT0 code (A=1 ... Z=26)
            dey
            bne shift_l

;clc                ; Carry is clear from the last ROL
            adc #"@"            ; Get the PETSCII character
            jsr CharOut
... ;)
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Mike wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:48 am If the value in CHARAC isn't used elsewhere later, you can keep it in A throughout the loop:
Right, indeed. And that extra lda #$00 must be some ancient remnant of something.
Robbie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:29 am I guess this is why 68k came up with 'BRA'.
Also, 65C02 has a BRanch Always added to the 6502 instruction set (among other nice things).

he/him/his
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

The 6800 had a BRA instruction. I've not seen a reason why it was excluded from the 6502, perhaps it made the instruction decode more complex?
Robbie
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Robbie »

I've just type "BRA" into a google search box. :roll:

I suppose I got pretty much what I deserved!