Virtual Device Traps

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Virtual Device Traps

Post by chysn »

Currently, my personal MacBook Pro is out of commission. This should be temporary, but meanwhile I've installed VICE on my work MacBook Pro.

In my previous VICE setup, I had VICE connected to a directory on my computer, so that I could transfer PRG files to and from that directory, and access them with VICE. I believe that this was a Virtual Device Trap.

I set this up sort of accidentally, and I don't remember how I got it working. Here's what I'm trying:

(1) From the Drives menu, I enable Virtual Device Traps
(2) I go to Attach Image to Drive 8, and choose the path to my virtual device directory

This doesn't work. When I do SAVE "PROGRAM",8 I get ?DEVICE NOT PRESENT

Does anybody know how to select a directory for the virtual device?
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Virtual Device Traps

Post by Mike »

Besides Virtual Device Traps = ON, you also need True Drive Emulation = OFF. More details here: "How to start .prg files in VICE".
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Virtual Device Traps

Post by chysn »

Ah, I forgot the part about the P00 files. I can get connected to a default directory in VICE's application root (/Applications/vice-sdl2-3.4-r37694/VICE.app/Contents/Resources/), but I can't choose my own directory because the Mac version of VICE doesn't have a "Peripherals Settings" menu. This has caused trouble for me before.

This will be okay, though, because I'll just make a short symlink to that long pathname. That might have been what I did on my other MacBook.

Thanks again!
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his