Born to scroll!

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

huffelduff
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Born to scroll!

Post by huffelduff »

Hi there all,

My first post and all that. Thank you for keeping the machine and hobby of PHAT GRAPHICS alive :D
I have written a three way scroller for the unexpanded VIC.
It also has some sprites.

Tech specs:
Unexpanded VIC (PAL or NTSC)
Joystick only
Tested on: VICE (Haven't owned a physical VIC for a very long time)

Attached: Some cover artwork for the game.

Request: Testing on a physical machine would be very much appreciated.

Greetings

Huffelduff

https://archive.org/download/gridslalom-3 (The .prg file is second from the top)
Attachments
Gridslalom #3.png
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Born to scroll!

Post by chysn »

Welcome!

Nice game! It works well on my NTSC hardware VIC-20. My high score is 1575.

Occasionally, one of the targets is further to the left or right than the ship can go, forcing a miss. You can reproduce this by moving all the way to the left or all the way to the right just as the game is getting started. If you do this, there's about a 50% chance that the first target is unreachable.

A word of advice... An ML program with a BASIC launcher should be arranged so that the two-byte header is $01 $10 instead of $00 $10 (for unexpanded VIC). This way, it can be loaded as a BASIC program with LOAD,8 instead of needing LOAD ,8,1. Then, of course, you leave off the $00 after the header. This way, it works with both LOAD formats, as well as tape.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

chysn wrote:An ML program with a BASIC launcher should be arranged so that the two-byte header is $01 $10 instead of $00 $10 (for unexpanded VIC). This way, it can be loaded as a BASIC program with LOAD,8 instead of needing LOAD ,8,1. Then, of course, you leave off the $00 after the header. This way, it works with both LOAD formats, as well as tape.
More detailed info about this here: Starting addr for .prgs

@huffelduff: Welcome to Denial! :mrgreen:
huffelduff
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by huffelduff »

Hi chysn and Mike,

Thank you so much for the tip regarding the header. I'll fix it in the coming week and upload the corrected file.
Also I'll correct my faulty offset calculation (chysn you got me!) when I have some time.

chysn thank you so much for testing on a physical machine and for the tip.

Anyhow when I get some time next week I'll also upload and share some more of my games.

Greetings and thank you for the warm welcome!