Just got 1274 on Beast of Eden

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Just got 1274 on Beast of Eden

Post by English Invader »

This is the highest score I've ever got on this game and I felt it was worth sharing. In the spirit of trying to make the forum more active, I thought I'd start a high score contest akin to a kickabout in the local park where you just put down a couple of jumpers for goal posts and figure out the rest as you go along (I did a similar thing for Jelly Monsters a few years back).

Here is a video of the game if you haven't played it before (includes picture of original cover art):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Opzq5n11U

The D64 file is available in the FE3 collection in the tape to disk (ttd) folder. The game runs on the unexpanded VIC and the D64 also contains the original source code for them as wants:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9616

I originally came across this game as a TAP file 11 years ago. It caught my attention because the title is a word play on my favourite John Steinbeck novel. When I bought one of the old uIEC/SDs for the VIC, this was one of the first games I wanted to play on the original hardware but couldn't because I couldn't find a D64 or PRG for the game. In 2013, I finally found an original tape copy of the game which was my first opportunity to play it on the real hardware and now, 11 years later, I'm finally able to play it through the SD2IEC.

Play it through the original hardware. Play it through VICE. Read the source code and make a better version. Just watch the video and get freaked out by the weirdness. Or just ignore it altogether. The choice is yours.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Just got 1274 on Beast of Eden

Post by chysn »

Seeing in the video how slowly points accumulate in Beast of Eden, that's no small feat!

This FE3 collection is new to me, but looks cool. I'll check it out.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his