Vic-20 Instruction Archive Poll

Discuss anything related to the VIC

Would you use a Game Instruction Archive?

Poll ended at Wed May 11, 2005 11:21 am

Definitely would use often
27%
Would Use frequently
No votes
Occasionally use it
55%
Never would use it
18%

Total votes: 11

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Hi, I'm the guy who was trying to get CafeVIC together. The problem was organizing all the stuff (masses of files) and writing content by myself.

But now we have this Wiki revolution - whereby everyone can contribute at once and immediately to articles. What we really need is either to create a Wiki version of CafeVIC (as I still have all of the raw files, scans etc.) maybe it could even be called "WikiVic" :) . Anyone know anything about setting up a Wiki site? Maybe it could even be part of Denial (which I agree is the best VIC site I have come across). WikiVic could hold anything, articles about history, game instructions....well, everything but binaries of games I suppose.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Schema wrote:Yes, and I contacted Ron for permission to scan and distribute it. He said that he already had scanned it and emailed me the PDF.

Sorry I've had your VIC stuff so long! Been busy with the baby and travel. I should be able to drop it off in a week or so, I'll PM you details.
No problem Leif, just wondering why the request if you already had mine in your hands (a pdf print of this nature is easier to photocopy or print from the computer I can see now)...

I'm still game to assist with this adventure I posted 1 1/4 years ago....just now have other commitments that will take away from the commitment I would of had back then (baby James Spencer coming in less than 3 months now)....

Great 2 see Ral-can chirp in to this thread as he'll be a definite asset to it's success :D :D :D

Brian
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bbell »

ral-clan wrote:But now we have this Wiki revolution - whereby everyone can contribute at once and immediately to articles. What we really need is either to create a Wiki version of CafeVIC (as I still have all of the raw files, scans etc.) maybe it could even be called "WikiVic" :) . Anyone know anything about setting up a Wiki site? Maybe it could even be part of Denial (which I agree is the best VIC site I have come across). WikiVic could hold anything, articles about history, game instructions....well, everything but binaries of games I suppose.
I can certainly host the WikiVIC (I actually had setup a Wiki for it a long time ago, but I never put it to use because Denial was so good). I can update the software tomorrow (might as well get the latest version up) and open it up. My original intention was to use it as a source code archive, but the more the better! :)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

bbell wrote:I can certainly host the WikiVIC (I actually had setup a Wiki for it a long time ago, but I never put it to use because Denial was so good). I can update the software tomorrow (might as well get the latest version up) and open it up. My original intention was to use it as a source code archive, but the more the better! :)
Sounds great! If you need any of the graphics we used in CafeVIC, feel free to grab them (if you can't find them, I have the raw hi-res versions on my hard-drive). I also have a DVD-R that's got a couple of GBs of VIC scans, articles and files I had collected for such a project.

One key point: pace yourself when working on this project. I think the whole thing that first burned out Ward Shrake and then myself was the overwhelming amount of work we realised it was becoming - and the way it could easily suck up all our free time (took the fun out of it). Of course, with a Wiki site it's much easier because anyone can add articles / edit them independently without having to go through a central administrator, so the burden won't all be on one person.

Anyway, I have the text versions of all of Ward Shrake's original technical articles.

I also have many many scans of game boxes, peripherals, hardware, circuit boards, etc. This is stuff I have gathered from many sources over the years.

I don't know if a WIKI site needs categories, but feel free to use the format we had for CafeVIC....I think it was sections on History, Technical, Peripherals, Software, Promotional Materials, etc.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Awrite people, I am just done with retyping a clean version of the instructions for Programmer's Aid and making a nice PDF out of that.

I emailed to people who let their email visible in this specific topic and I submitted it to Zimmer for his archive.

If you find any errors, omissions or otherwise "bugs" please let me know ASAP. Just so you people know, all original commodore logo and typefaces are from the eurostyle family...
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bbell »

ral-clan wrote:Sounds great! If you need any of the graphics we used in CafeVIC, feel free to grab them (if you can't find them, I have the raw hi-res versions on my hard-drive). I also have a DVD-R that's got a couple of GBs of VIC scans, articles and files I had collected for such a project.

One key point: pace yourself when working on this project. I think the whole thing that first burned out Ward Shrake and then myself was the overwhelming amount of work we realised it was becoming - and the way it could easily suck up all our free time (took the fun out of it). Of course, with a Wiki site it's much easier because anyone can add articles / edit them independently without having to go through a central administrator, so the burden won't all be on one person.
This is good advice, and the reason I want to use a Wiki, rather than doing it all myself. I have two toddlers which already suck up most of the free time I have. But I so like my VIC, I want to contribute as much as I can.

Is anyone here good at Wiki skins? I am thinking of a cyan/white/dark blue look like the VIC boot screen. But try and not be too bright and ugly, just the general theme. I might grab some stuff from VICE to do headings and stuff.

The latest Wiki software is running now, I put the site at http://vic20.vaxxine.com, but its "virgin" right now, fresh from install. But feel free to fool around in there. :D
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

SWEEEEEEET!!! :D :D :D :D

1st step to getting something started!!

Just waiting for some catagories to send them up into there and I'll start uploading what I got!

Brian
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bbell »

Centallica wrote:SWEEEEEEET!!! :D :D :D :D

1st step to getting something started!!

Just waiting for some catagories to send them up into there and I'll start uploading what I got!
I have put in some categories, but I still have my Wiki editing learning cap on, so I am still learning how to add layout. Feel free to add others!

Brad.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Getting a couple of errors:

".doc" is not a recommended image file format. (for Word Doc's)

and

"." is not a recommended image file format. (for PDF's)

Don't know if it's a Wiki or Dopi-user error :D
Brian
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

eslapion wrote:I emailed to people who let their email visible in this specific topic
Yeah, I got your somewhat mysterious e-mail. The PDF looks fine.

Although I have decent virus and spam filters, at first I was a bit unsure how to handle it; coming from a (to me) unknown person, no subject line, body part message: "Please tell me if you find any errors" and then a 150 kB attachment of type Application/PDF. If it had been a Word document, I would probably have deleted it without opening..
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

carlsson wrote:Yeah, I got your somewhat mysterious e-mail. The PDF looks fine.

Although I have decent virus and spam filters, at first I was a bit unsure how to handle it; coming from a (to me) unknown person, no subject line, body part message: "Please tell me if you find any errors" and then a 150 kB attachment of type Application/PDF. If it had been a Word document, I would probably have deleted it without opening..
I am quite sure I put the subject as "Programmer's Aid instructions" (or manual).

I did choose the PDF format because it is quite impossible to use it to convey viruses and because it works on multiple platforms.

However, I already found a couple of corrections to implement and I will send it to you again. I hope you liked what you have seen so far.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Not a trace for the subject line. The spam checker even added 1.3 points for missing subject (my cut-off has been increased from 5.0 to 8.0 points due to some legitimate mail arrived as spam before).
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bbell »

Centallica wrote:Getting a couple of errors:

".doc" is not a recommended image file format. (for Word Doc's)

and

"." is not a recommended image file format. (for PDF's)

Don't know if it's a Wiki or Dopi-user error :D
Brian
Dopi-Wiki I believe. It seems to allow only a few file types by default, I added pdf, doc, zip, d64 and prg.

Brad.