International Karate VIC20 [Ultimem] [CANCELLED]

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: International Karate VIC20 [Ultimem] [CANCELLED]

Post by pixel »

Yeah, that analogy to Windoze was rather harsh. Some criminal tard tried to re-implement the GSX graphics extension for CP/M for DOS and stole billions of years worth of precious life time. Not cool to bring that up here. Like waking up to Trump's tweets. We don't tweet here, do we?

No, we don't. Because people here are spending exhausting amounts of their off-time for hardcore amusement on the VIC for nothing else but a nice down home feeling. NO requirements for instantly messaged off-topic jokes.

If one wants to be very diplomatic, don't reply to this and think for yourselves. At least ten minutes for a reply. Works for me most of the time, even when I'm rat-arsed.

I'm rat-arsed. Kakemoms, whatever your reason, please reconsider and move on.
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

If you refer to my joke, ok, it was stupid - but I don't think such a project (and all others) was cancelled due to a stupid joke in one of several threads.

The way this forum is getting towards rigid correctness is worrying me. Sense of humor and acceptance of all points if view (yes, also those of Trump's supporters) have always been fundamental ingredients of civilization. But as we can see from contemporary chronicles, humans are regressing.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

orion70 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:48 pm The way this forum is getting towards rigid correctness is worrying me.
IMHO, people should be free to program or plug whatever they want on their own machine. The consequences only involve themselves and their own property.

The second you start selling stuff to people then it becomes a whole different ball game. You have a responsibility towards your buyers and even potential buyers.

I vaguely remember the VIC-20's user manual mentioning you can program the VIC in any way you want or type any command and there is no way you can cause damage to it and this is why you'll never see me comment in any way any program, games or programming techniques.
(Apparently, the above is not entirely true for the PET as there is a POKE command which can destroy the display on some models)

This is absolutely not true for hardware as it is incredibly easy to cause permanent damage to circuits that are no longer in production and becoming more and more difficult to find. Feel free to use a wrecking ball on your own stuff but selling stuff should be subjected to a different standard and level of scrutiny.

The worst part of this story is, IMHO, following the rules to avoid causing damage is incredibly easy and inexpensive. Yet somehow, for some reason, there are people who see it as an affront to their ego. I can't escape seeing a strong parallel with COVID-19 deniers. Put yourself at risk all you want but then stay away from everyone else who choose to behave safely and pay for your medical support with your own money.
Last edited by eslapion on Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be normal.
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

orion70 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:48 pm If you refer to my joke, ok, it was stupid - but I don't think such a project (and all others) was cancelled due to a stupid joke in one of several threads.

The way this forum is getting towards rigid correctness is worrying me. Sense of humor and acceptance of all points if view (yes, also those of Trump's supporters) have always been fundamental ingredients of civilization. But as we can see from contemporary chronicles, humans are regressing.
I was only half joking. Accepting the views of Nazis is not a fundamental ingredient of civilization as recent history books and breaking news show. And that's what keeping us from regressing. But that's off-topic, so that's got its own board here. That's decades of tradition to keep everyone happy and focussed.
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I agree. Beware of the "reductio ad Hitlerum" of political opponents though. That's exactly what I meant by regression to a pre-civilization point.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

deleted
Last edited by beamrider on Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

beamrider wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:17 am Getting someone to spin-up a real cartridge with box, artwork etc would be much more appealing.
I'd love to contribute to that, given the opportunity.
Be normal.
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Well, UltiMEM fits in a standard CBM case, so that's not a huge issue. Box and artwork would be a different story.

JIm
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

brain wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:20 am Well, UltiMEM fits in a standard CBM case, so that's not a huge issue. Box and artwork would be a different story.

JIm
UltiMEM is a very powerful cartridge with lots of features and I'm sure it would be nice to have many games designed specifically to take advantage of these features.

At the same time, I suspect most games would only require a large capacity (EP)ROM to store their graphics and code and I know I can make a fully populated cartridge PCB for a single game with gold plated edge connector for 15$US or less. This is considerably less than the price of an UltiMEM but, of course, you only get one game for that price and no other features.
Be normal.
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

True, but VIC-MIDI with the CPLD and the 512kB FLASH is equally cheap. Sure, the PCB has a ton of unused footprints, but it's done and working. Or, of course, just fire up the CAD and delete all the unused stuff.

Jim
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Shame it has been cancelled. I thought it would be useful to demonstrate what the extra memory could do. I've recently being playing around with georam on my C64, I would imagine this would be a similar solution for the Vic.

Hoping the author is OK, Vic games are nice diversions but hardly a priority in life.
3^4 is 81.0000001
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

Yeah, it's a shame. And most probably not for reasons we're into. Private messages also have been blocked. Good luck, Kakemoms.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

pixel wrote:I'm rat-arsed. Kakemoms, whatever your reason, please reconsider and move on.
pixel wrote:Yeah, it's a shame. And most probably not for reasons we're into. Private messages also have been blocked. Good luck, Kakemoms.
For what matters, the OP and originator of the IK port is (or was) majikeyric, not Kakemoms. Kakemoms chose to leave the Denial forum some time ago, for other reasons not related to the thread here.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Wonder if he is alive and well...
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by majikeyric »

I'm fine guys, just no more motivated by VIC20 game projects, for some reasons and also because of the comments I could read here that are real motivation killers for me. That's life, I prefer focusing on making games for the Ultimate 64 turbo mode now...
still loving the VIC of course...... 8)
Last edited by majikeyric on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.