Exactly how NOT to make a multicart for the C64

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Exactly how NOT to make a multicart for the C64

Post by groepaz »

The Super Snapshot V5.22 I bought from Joe Palumbo in 2007 seems to differ from you guys.
Strawman. Irrelevant.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

groepaz wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:51 am
The Super Snapshot V5.22 I bought from Joe Palumbo in 2007 seems to differ from you guys.
Strawman. Irrelevant.
Now I get a sense why the forum here is called Denial.

Anyways, as I said, if you have diagnostic or prototype carts you're going to insert only a half dozen times, it makes no difference at all.

People selling VIC-20 RAM expansions or VIC-20/C64 game carts that may get inserted and removed hundreds of times over the years then the responsible thing to do is to AT LEAST tell the buyers about it so they can make an informed decision. Otherwise it's FRAUD.

Me, I side fully with VIC-20-Ian on this. Not only does the HASL layer wear off, the solder material gets deposited in the cart port connector and dissimilar metals in contact with one another causes corrosion.

See chart: http://www.simpletwig.com/blog/wp-conte ... nChart.png

But hey... I'm just a whiner, right ?

As for my own products: PLAnkton runs at up to 3.8V! and I guarantee it for 3 years, even if the pins were damaged by the postal workers.
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

None of this changes the facts: It was common to do back in the days. And it didnt kill expansion ports all over the place. You can ramble about how its wrong forever, it doesnt change these facts.

Still waiting for that link...
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

groepaz wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:50 am... You can ramble about how its wrong forever, it doesnt change these facts.
You're a bit like Donald Trump, you confuse facts with your personal opinion.

If you want facts, read the post from Vic-20-Ian. Heck, I'm not even the one with the best arguments. He is. Is he a 'strawman' too ? Irrelevant too ?
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

You're a bit like Donald Trump, you confuse facts with your personal opinion.
So what of the following isnt fact?
1. It was common to do back in the days. (You can easily look it up on the pokefinder wiki once your tools let you use the internet)
2. It didnt kill expansion ports all over the place. (If it did, we'd sure all have heard about it, because 1.)
3. I am not opposing what Vic-20-Ian wrote (Already wrote that before)
4. Still waiting for that link (same)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

groepaz wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:32 am So what of the following isnt fact?
1. It was common to do back in the days. (You can easily look it up on the pokefinder wiki once your tools let you use the internet)
It was common for small time business and individuals. No decent business ever did that.
2. It didnt kill expansion ports all over the place. (If it did, we'd sure all have heard about it, because 1.)
A lot of cart ports became useless on the C64 and people didn't realize it was caused by that. The VIC-20 has larger contacts on the cart port so it was considerably more resilient. It sure did make a bunch of cartridges good for trash.
3. I am not opposing what Vic-20-Ian wrote (Already wrote that before)
Considering 1. and 2., it sure seems like it.
4. Still waiting for that link (same)
This is the AR MK IV which was made after the MK 3 and it doesn't have surface mount.
https://ar.c64.org/rrwiki/images/7/7c/A ... ay_MK4.jpg

It doesn't show well on the photo but yes, there is gold plating on that connector - it's just dirty because it was used a lot. It's just a cheap kind the same as I have on my SSV3 (was ROM upgraded to V4 but was purchased as V3).

Well well... wadayano... https://ar.c64.org/rrwiki/images/2/2b/A ... _open2.jpg

Looks like genuine Datel MK3s had HASL on the connector... and the connector is seriously worn out. I suppose somebody told them at some point you shouldn't do that because all the other revisions that followed had gold.
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

It was common for small time business and individuals.
I never said anything different. It was common. A lot of the cards are probably homemade. Scroll back. read it up.
A lot of cart ports became useless on the C64 and people didn't realize it was caused by that.
As already said, i have yet to hear about a single case where it couldnt be made working fine again by cleaning it. Please provide proof for this claim. You are basically the only one repeating that this is a big problem.
Looks like genuine Datel MK3s had HASL on the connector...
no, really?
I suppose somebody told them at some point you shouldn't do that because all the other revisions that followed had gold.
or perhaps at some point it became cheaper so they switched the process?
Anyways, I was able to find that specific image through Google and what you have there IS NOT a genuine Action Replay MK3. It's a clone made by some guy and it wasn't made in the 1980s, it was made way after Commodore vanished.
Genuine Action Replay carts from Datel all used through-hole ICs. No surface mount in the real ones.
you still didnt provide that link
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

groepaz wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:14 am
Anyways, I was able to find that specific image through Google and what you have there IS NOT a genuine Action Replay MK3. It's a clone made by some guy and it wasn't made in the 1980s, it was made way after Commodore vanished.
Genuine Action Replay carts from Datel all used through-hole ICs. No surface mount in the real ones.
you still didnt provide that link
Excuse me ?? what exactly is THAT ? https://ar.c64.org/rrwiki/images/2/2b/A ... _open2.jpg

This is a Datel Action Replay MK3 and there is no surface mount on that PCB exactly as I claimed, all Through-hole exactly as I claimed.

The image you provided was this:
WrongtekAR.jpg
WrongtekAR.jpg (93.19 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Now you tell me just what that is because it's NOT an Action Replay MK3. I see a date code 04/90 and that's April 1990... wasn't made in the 1980s and it's certainly not MK3.

Added edit: Wikipedia says the MK4 came out in 1988, the MK5 in 1989 so your photo is a MK6. It did have gold plating.
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

No it wasnt. See here Are you confused?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

groepaz wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:59 am
No it wasnt. See here Are you confused?
I'm not but since pokefinder wasn't directly accessible to me, that's what fine crappy Norton led me to... :evil:

Just so everyone knows...
bitching.jpg
Yes, Norton Security really is that stupid.
Be normal.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

1. Mixed connectors is a bad design practice - Gold-Gold is best for these types of application
2. It is not safety critical in Vic20 but does degrade (which is a form of damage) the connector performance
3. There is no need for all the swearing
4. It is time to relax, have a beer, move on and play some games
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

I'm not but since pokefinder wasn't directly accessible to me, that's what fine crappy Norton led me to...
So you claimed i linked some random other picture? OK
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Vic20-Ian wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:48 pm 4. It is time to relax, have a beer, move on and play some games
Having an engineering degree, I must concur with you. Alcohol is adequate for cleaning circuit boards and altering your mood.
groepaz wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:56 pm So you claimed i linked some random other picture? OK
I'm claiming no such thing. I'm saying Norton did a total mess and you were doubly right about calling it 'snake oil'. Happy ?
Be normal.
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

eslapion wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:20 pm Having an engineering degree(...)
Not documented information
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

I'm claiming no such thing. I'm saying Norton did a total mess and you were doubly right about calling it 'snake oil'. Happy ?
you don't make any sense, but OK