Moon Patrol images doesn't start in real Vic-20?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

nbla000 wrote:... and Vice doesn't work properly for protected Ram images that try to write to itself example Omega Race Original
I'm pretty sure it does, did you load it with attach cartridge image?
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

tlr wrote:
nbla000 wrote:... and Vice doesn't work properly for protected Ram images that try to write to itself example Omega Race Original
I'm pretty sure it does, did you load it with attach cartridge image?
Yes if you attach the cartridge image works but if you try to load it from a disk image in emulation LOAD "OMEGARACE",8,1 as the real Vic-20 doesn't work.
carlsson wrote:there is a problem with nbla's memory expansion or reset button
Yes may be the memory expansion but i've tested it with 3 different check programs and with other games images that uses banks 3/5 too and only with Ms-PacMan i've the same problem, so i need only to buy another one to test.:?
For the reset button i've tested 4 different user and serial port reset.
carlsson wrote:Or the files transferred from Zimmers were buggy.
5 different disk images trasfered 5 times to 5 differend 1541/1581 disks works on VICE, so i don't think so.
Boray wrote: maybe your PSU if you used the same one when you tried with your vic-20s....
Very interesting, yes i've used the same PSU, may be the PSU? in any case i try other PSUs this week.
Finally something to do this week-end non only Beach, Beer and Soccer (Italy in semifinals and very hot weather)

Obviously i will try to find at least a new 16k switchable or 32k memory cartridge.
Someone has one to sell me?
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

FINALLY SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!!!

The problem was the switch settings on the 32K cartridge.

Since i haven't the istruction i've tested it to search the 32k switch position and 8k only in bank 5 switch position, for 32k i've found the 1/2/3/6 combination and for 8k only in bank 5 switch 1 only, the 32k go well for all the cartridge image i've tested except for the cartridge that need 8k in bank 5 only obviously and for all normal games that need 8k/16k/24k but not for Moon Patrol and Ms PacMan.
So using various memory test programs i've tested all switch combination and i've discovered another combination for 32k and other very interesting like banks 3/5 only or 2/5 or 1/2/5 and so on, well using the switch position for banks 3/5 only or the alternate switch position (2/3/6) for full 1/2/3/5 banks the game works. If someone use a cartridge like this without 2k eprom and using 32k memory instead of 64k i may send all switch combinations test result.

By the way, someone know which is the vendor of this expander? The symbol remind something?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Zero Electronics advertised a 64K RAM + 2K EPROM expansion, and their logotype looks a bit similar, but not identical. Still, it could be a Zero expansion.

The reason why some programs don't work with block 1 enabled in particular is if the VIC has relocated the pointers to screen memory, and the cartridge doesn't set them itself, but assumes a certain configuration. I should be able to repeat your failure now when we have an idea what the problem was.

(four minutes later)

No, even with all blocks 1/2/3/5 enabled, Moon Patrol works fine on my VIC. Maybe the optional EPROM on your cartridge maps somewhere and disturbs things?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Switch 1/2/3/6 and switch 2/3/6 both enables banks 1/2/3/5 but only using switch 2/3/6 moon patrol works, may be some predisposition for 2k eprom the problem, in any case thanks to every one for helps.

This is the switch settings of mine expansion cards:

Code: Select all

===========================================================
|                       |                                 |
| Memory Maker 32K      |      Commodore 8K Expansion     |
|                       |(Remove the case, Switchs inside)|
| Bank/s      Switch/s  |        Bank        Switch       |
| 1          4/6 ; 5/6  |         1             4         |
| 1/2         2/3/4/6   |         2             3         |
| 1/3          3/4/6    |         3             2         |
| 1/5            6      |         5             1         |
| 1/2/5         2/6     |=================================|