Blown capacitor?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Floofus
Vic 20 Newbie

Blown capacitor?

Post by Floofus »

I just got a VIC20 off of Ebay (NTSC), and I opened it up and saw what looks like a melted radial(?) capacitor:
Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 8.55.04 PM.png
Is my assumption correct -- is this just a regular ol' blown capacitor?

The rev of the board is something I have been unable to find results in google, 324025-A:
Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 8.45.02 PM.png
Could not find a rev # on the motherboard, but the pic above is from the inside bottom of the case. It has a C64-style power port, and the motherboard is what looks like a short board.

On a side note, when I first booted the machine up, I only got the first line of text, but no X-bytes free, or READY. After power cycling a few times, and pressing on each chip to check for shorts (none are socketed :( ) the BASIC prompt came back. I couldn't get it to go away, even after power cycling about 5 times.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Blown capacitor?

Post by Mike »

Floofus wrote:Is my assumption correct -- is this just a regular ol' blown capacitor?
Actually, this is a small 1.2 µH choke in the +5V power rail, which forms part of the input filter.

That VIC-20 probably had suffered from a transient overvoltage in the past. You should check the voltages of the PSU before replacing the choke.
DarwinNE
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Blown capacitor?

Post by DarwinNE »

I can't see it well in the picture, but the choke may not be melted, it may just be the resin that keeps in place the coil that slightly changed in colour and became brown. That would not mean that the coil is damaged. A better (macro?) picture may help.
I wholeheartedly agree with Mike: when you attempt to repair something, always start from checking the power supply with a DC meter. Best would be to measure if the 5V rail is noisy (oscilloscope), in different places of the board, to see if decoupling capacitors are still fine.