Code Editors

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Code Editors

Post by chysn »

The simple question is, if you're doing cross-platform development, what are you using to edit your code?

For my real job, I've used Eclipse for years. I get some gentle ribbing from my staff about this. It's apparently an old developer's IDE. Guilty as charged, I guess. I like Eclipse a lot, but not for 6502 projects.

Eclipse does have a 6502 plug-in, but it's sluggish for reasons I haven't been able to figure out. So I turned to the trusty old BBEdit. I used BBEdit for my last two VIC-20 projects, and I'm really happy with it. It doesn't support 6502 "out of the box," of course, but I was able to find a language file and adapt it to the XA assembler's quirks, and my coding style (now, lowercase mnemonics). BBEdit is strictly Mac, though. It has decent integration with Git, and I can script out my toolchain operations. And it has this grep find-and-replace that shows what text regular expressions match in real time. That's ridiculously cool. Anyway...

What are you folks using? Even if you're doing cross-platform BASIC development, what do you code on?
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Code Editors

Post by srowe »

chysn wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:55 pm The simple question is, if you're doing cross-platform development, what are you using to edit your code?
Same editor I've used for about 30 years of personal and professional work, emacs. Beyond syntax highlighting I don't really feel the need for an IDE. I'm far more productive with a separate editor, shell and commands.
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

chysn wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:55 pmFor my real job, I've used Eclipse for years. I get some gentle ribbing from my staff about this. It's apparently an old developer's IDE. Guilty as charged, I guess. I like Eclipse a lot, but not for 6502 projects.
Old developers? To me, eclipse is something fairly newskool. :wink:
srowe wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:12 amSame editor I've used for about 30 years of personal and professional work, emacs. Beyond syntax highlighting I don't really feel the need for an IDE. I'm far more productive with a separate editor, shell and commands.
+1 for emacs. I use this with make and git for revision control.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Notepad++ with the Explorer and NppExec plug-ins, and a 6502 Syntax colour scheme - works just like an IDE.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Emacs has been sort of blind spot for me. I used it when I was in college with the Pine email client, but I never developed with it. On the servers, I use vim, and I'm pretty good at slinging the text around. But there are things about newer editors that I just like. I like being able to do staging and commits from the editor. I like doing grep search-replace-operations that show me regex matches in the document in real time. I love a nice color-coded side-by-side diff. 1989 me would be totally envious of the tools that 2020 me gets to use.

When I used Windows, I used Notepad++ quite a bit. Notepad++ is to Windows as BBEdit is to macOS. Not exactly a full-featured IDE, but enough features to make it seem like it for 6502 stuff. Another good one for Windows was Crimson Editor.

I find that I'm always tinkering with the language file to align with my personal conventions and the assembler I'm using. You don't really have to do that so much with other languages.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

It's very much a personal preference matter. I'm of an age that tends to get frustrated by GUIs, they seem to prevent me from doing stuff at times. "Oh, there's the option I want, but it's greyed out?!?!". With the command line I'm only limited by the commands I know how to use (sed, awk etc) and I can assemble together in a massive number of ways. I'm still learning of new utilities and ways to use them.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

i use whatever editor with syntax coloring. kate (KDE standard editor) on linux, notepad++ on windows.

eclipse i like to uninstall and delete all traces of it :)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
DarwinNE
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by DarwinNE »

I don't like IDE's very much. I use competent text editors (Textwrangler and some vim) for what I need: usually it's Java, C, C++, 6502 asm, LaTeX.
The rest is command line.