Soliciting VIC-20 Internal memory expansion ideas

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Mike
Herr VC

Re: Soliciting VIC-20 Internal memory expansion ideas

Post by Mike »

Actually I do not see where I assessed your programming skills anywhere in the thread here. The topic mainly focusses on hardware, with only the (largely undisclosed) amount of Verilog necessary to implement the logic functions.

Writing small tools to provide the new possibilities of the hardware to existing software may be on the obvious side, but you want an already mostly fixed set of registers that access the new hardware, and the new hardware itself at hand. With the still one-of-a-kind state of your project, I might see my part on commenting it, and taking an interested look on what actually can pass as "VIC-20-like substrate" to run existing programs. But you surely cannot expect I would even write a single line of code for hardware I do not have access to (whether I would even want to own it is yet another matter, BTW).

Even if there is a complete package of new hardware, firmware/drivers that support it and programs - games, applications or utilities - that use it, that is no guarantee that package will get wide-spread use. Witness my VFLI mod. :?
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Soliciting VIC-20 Internal memory expansion ideas

Post by brain »

It was a comment made in jest (I know my programming skills, and they will probably not be able to deliver the outcome you're suggesting) :-). I forgot the smiley.

No ill will intended.

But, yes, I wouldn't post here if I did not want discourse on the project.

And, I am hopeful that this mod will support your VFLI SW, though with less mods needed. Still, one does not start these things with the size of exposure in mind, or we wouldn't start these things.

BTW, the Verilog is now up:

https://github.com/go4retro/IntUltiMEM