VIC20 Franken-machine?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

jasonsbeer
Vic 20 Newbie

VIC20 Franken-machine?

Post by jasonsbeer »

Hi everyone-

I purchased a VIC20 from e-bay. I am just starting to learn about these machines. The serial number on the case is P1077304, made in USA. It has a cost reduced motherboard that appears to be in good condition, despite some corrosion on the RF shield. It has the gold VIC 20 and POWER badges. It has a Eurostyle keyboard.

My understanding is that only early (not cost reduced) machines came with the Eurostyle keyboard. I'm wondering if someone swapped out the motherboard or keyboard in this unit. Could it have come this way from the factory?

Thanks
Attachments
VIC 20 Case Back
VIC 20 Case Back
VIC 20 Cost Reduced Motherboard Back
VIC 20 Cost Reduced Motherboard Back
VIC 20 Cost Reduced Motherboard Front
VIC 20 Cost Reduced Motherboard Front
Eurostyle Keyboard
Eurostyle Keyboard
jasonsbeer
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: VIC20 Franken-machine?

Post by jasonsbeer »

I found the VIC registry. Indeed, other VICs in this serial range came with the cost reduced board. In addition, there are much later serial numbers that indicate a Eurostyle keyboard. For now, I'm going to assume this is how it came from the factory.

I love how commodore assembled things. It seems almost random the assortment of parts used. Keyboards, motherboard revisions, etc.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

It looks to be an early CR for certain. It has most big ICs in sockets, later ones didn't. Should make it easier to repair if you need to.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Personally, I don't think it matters that much. The VIC I use most of the time is one I swapped out with a non-working VIC because the non-working one had a more cosmetically appealing case. I'll take functionality and looks over historical pedigree any day of the week.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I must say, I second that :) . Weeks ago I built up an Excel sheet with all the micros of my collection, including hardware, esthetical and hardware defects, etc. I realized that most of the computers, including many VIC-20s, were Frankensteins, and for boxed sets the number on the box didn't match the serial. But I don't care much, as long as I like playing with them and admiring the design of the whole setup on my desktop.
BTW, this is the reason why I never registered serial numbers in the dedicated thread.
jasonsbeer
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by jasonsbeer »

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Since I'm new to VIC-20 machines, I am trying to learn about the history of these. I've come to the conclusion that it is likely factory original. It's a piece of information that's nice to know. I would be cleaning it up and using it regardless of history or pedigree. Just wanted to know what I have.

I have two more VIC's on the way. :D
jasonsbeer
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by jasonsbeer »

Got this machine cleaned up and back together. When I received it, it was covered in paint splatters and had a busted keyboard plunger. I had to buy another VIC-20 with the Eurostile keyboard to act as a donor. Fortunately, the board works just fine and no troubleshooting was needed, just a good scrub. A quick test with a 1541 went just fine. Before and after pics below. I challenged my boys to Ms Pac-Man. They won.
s-l1600.jpg
IMG_20200307_184129397_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200307_181746185.jpg