Ever pay too much for a VIC-20 item?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Ever pay too much for a VIC-20 item?

Post by ral-clan »

I just paid $20 US (for item) plus $20 US (for shipping) for a Commodore MPS-801 printer to replace my original MPS-801 which started acting up again. On Ebay of course. :oops:

I had been resisting paying so much, but when my printer started crapping out again just when I needed a printout of my latest program, I bit the bullet. It's a bit much to spend, but since I live in a smallish town my chances of finding a real Commodore printer at a garage sale, etc. for were next to nil. I figured when I counted in all the time driving to Thrift stores in Ottawa (an hour away) plus gas, etc, it would probably come to about $40 anyway. Plus there would be no guarantee I would find one.

Anyway, I wanted the MPS-801 because it was my first printer back in the 1980s. I hated it at the time but now I love it for it's look, simplicity, screechy noise and very industrial looking build quality and blocky lettering. :wink:

It arrived in two days which was nice.

So....ever paid too much for that VIC item you really had to have?
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

a couple of years ago i won a big whack of items on ebay, which included a card expander and a disk drive.

the seller indicated all the items were for the vic 20.

after shipping charges, i spent nearly $100, and when it arrived, i quickly found out that almost all the stuff (including the card expander) was for the C64, and the drive door was broken etc...

i wasn't happpy at all, but luckily for me the seller reimbursed me half of the total cost.

now, if you want to talk about spending too much on Dr. Who items... :)
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I really really really wanted a cartridge slot expander, and finally found one on eBay from the UK, along with a bunch of very common cartridges and a datasette. The auction and shipping came to 40 pounds, which is very many Canadian dollars :wink: I ended up putting the carts and datasette on the World of Commodore freebie table too.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Erm... you lot decide.

(you know what I'm talking about here)

Aside from that, a couple of rare cartridges, but nothing else yet.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

no.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

I'd say that I would usually pay too much. I don't have time to go to gararge sales, so the only way I get stuff is through eBay. By definition, if I win an auction, that makes me prepared to spend more than everyone else. But I try not to be extravigant.

My worst was probably AU$25 (incl postage) for a VIC-20 that ended up having a dead VIC chip. :(
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

hawk wrote:I'd say that I would usually pay too much. I don't have time to go to gararge sales, so the only way I get stuff is through eBay.
FYI:
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... 0735#10735