Two prong Vic 20 - regulator question

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Two prong Vic 20 - regulator question

Post by AndyH »

Hi - I have picked up an early two prong powered Vic 20. It runs hot which I read was mostly the LM323K regulator and it can be replaced by a modern replacement that runs cooler. Anyone tried this? LM323K on Ebay.

Would you say this is this something easy enough to replace for someone with basic skills? Is it worth doing?
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
Gyro Gearloose
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: Two prong Vic 20 - regulator question

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

It's worth doing but make sure you get the regulator *with* pins.
Then tell us what kind of iron you have. You'll have to take the VIC apart and take the PCB out of the case, remove the RF shield and disassemble that metal cage around the regulator. Desoldering the regulator can be a challenge because of all the metal, an undersized iron will struggle to melt the solder.
Of course the best bet is a desoldering setup, but with just an iron you can simply wiggle the regulator off by heating the pins alternately.

I don't know what's basic for you; what have you soldered or desoldered before?
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

Thanks - that is very helpful. I have a a regular solder iron and a de-solder suction thing. I was fine to remove the solder on the Shift Lock key when I cleaned a keyboard and in the distant past I did electronics at school but that was when the C64 was still sold in the shops :-D
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
Gyro Gearloose
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Well then it's simple, use both the iron and the desoldering tool to heat both pins of the regulator, it should just fall out by itself. Then clearing the holes of solder just got easier.
Gyro Gearloose
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

I assumed that "de-solder suction thing" was that iron with a bulb on it. I guess on second reading you really mean just a solder sucker?
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

Yes, just a basic spring loaded sucker, which was ok for doing the shift lock key.
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
Gyro Gearloose
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Oh well, guess you'll have to remove the old regulator one pin at a time! Add some fresh solder to the joint to help heat transfer, the flux will help to clean the surface of the old joint to help the solder to flow and transfer more heat. You might want to leave the iron on there a bit longer after the solder melts because the pin is big and just because the solder looks molten on top it might still be cold underneath.