Large Collection - Considering getting rid of it

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

vicassembly
Vic 20 Devotee

Large Collection - Considering getting rid of it

Post by vicassembly »

I'm going through a time of simplifying in many ways and am seriously considering parting with an absolutely HUGE collection of Commodore equipment and software. If you are looking to acquire a large piece of Commodore history then I might be worth reaching out to.

I have loved this stuff for years and it has an emotional tie to my 13/14 year old self back in 1981. My concern is that it goes to someone who appreciates and loves Commodore as much as I do.

Please private message me if you are interested in talking. When I say large, I cannot say that strong enough. I have spreadsheets that document nearly everything. In generalities I have the following.

- Multiple Commodore VIC-20s. Early serial numbers, later, boards with complete removable chips.
- Commodore 64s (same as above)
- Commodore PET (A couple of mint systems)
- Commodore 128
- Commodore Plus/4 and C-16.

Nearly any drive you can imagine

Nearly every vic-20 cartridge made. Many boxed and sealed.
A huge array of C64 software.
C16/ Plus4 4 tapes and software. (Large collection)

An entire library of books for all above systems. Name it, I have it. (Cataloged in spreadsheet)

If you are seriously interested then please contact me in private message.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Large Collection - Considering getting rid of it

Post by srowe »

Interest may vary depending on where you are located.
vicassembly
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by vicassembly »

I live in the Melbourne, Florida area. About 1 1/2 hours from Orlando.
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

dang! would've jumped at the chance. too bad i live in lodi ca
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
i'd rather be a rock star than a pop start 8)
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I would just like to draw your attention to the fact that many people have got rid of large computer collections and regretted it. They think they're letting it go to start a new chapter in life or whatever and a couple of years later they're trying to find another system on eBay in a grossly over-inflated market. Think about what you have and what you stand to lose before you leap.

At the moment, I'm more into vintage Hi-Fi equipment and listening to music than computers (as my posts in Off Topic suggest) but I know my interest in computers and video games will come round again so I'm not letting anything go.

It's your life and your choice but you have a wonderful collection there that you could never hope to replace.
vicassembly
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by vicassembly »

Thanks for that insight!
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

I'd love to see some pictures!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Me, it's been more than ten years since I got rid of about half of my collection. I got into other hobbies, but love for old computers came back, and I spent a lot of time and money, just to retrieve a fraction of what I once had.

So my advice is the same: think twice before selling anything, especially rare stuff.
lancer21
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by lancer21 »

I feel your suffering, orion, I once had a large collection of East German militaria, sold all of it but 2-3 things with sentimental value because it had been gathering dust for 2 years (the local reenact/airsoft scene was garbage where I lived), and another year and a half later, I moved to another city, found a great historical reenactment club, and now I wish I hadn't sold my stuff as most of it has gotten extremely rare, if not impossible to find. And of course, whatever I can find has quintupled in price.

Regarding OP's computer collection, I can only give the same advice - think about it, again and again, for a couple months. It's more or less a choice of a lifetime, it's like getting married or, on a smaller scale, getting a tattoo.
And by the time you decide, you'll either keep your awesome collection and make it fructify, or, should you decide to sell it after all, I'll be waiting at one of these houses in Cyprus for you to announce the prices and shipping fees!
tonyrocks
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by tonyrocks »

I'm curious if you sold your collection?
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

I think it depends on the size and variety of your collection.

At one point I had enough to start my own computer and video game museum. I had at least 2 working examples of every mainstream game console, 8, and 16-bit computers. There were rooms of my house filled with this stuff, all organized, but nowhere to set it all up.

Then... one day I realized I didn't want to own a computer and video game museum, that the ownership of all that stuff took away my time to use and enjoy it.

Plus... I needed money for medical bills, both mine and my (now ex) wife's.

I got rid of at least 90% of what I had. It took years, but it helped with the medical bills.

Now I only have a few dozen electronic games, some plug and plays, VIC-20, Atari 800XL, Vectrex, Game Gear, PSP, PlayStation (1), Genesis / 32X / SCD, Dreamcast, and a few emulation rigs. (And backups for the classic hardware, but we won't count those. I feel like I'm forgetting a system or 2...)

At first it hurt to get rid of so much stuff, but that passed when I started to use what was left more often.

Having a smaller collection was even more important when I got divorced last year. I needed to move to an apartment. My computers and games came with me, which made the transition much easier.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I could always use some CR VIC 20s. Let me know if you have a price in your head. I was using poor power supplies for a long time and ruined some of mine. So I have lots of parts waiting to be joined together.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.