Homebrew: An alternative to a 6561 VIC Chip...?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: Homebrew: An alternative to a 6561 VIC Chip...?

Post by eslapion »

SparkyNZ wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:30 pm ... I'll either throw in a level converter somewhere or (better option) see if I can use a different CPLD/FGPA that will handle input of 5V and output 5V also. Hopefully I can find a cheap one that will - I'd prefer that to adding heaps of logic level converters.
Accepting signals up to 5V is important but on the output side, anything above 2.4V is good enough.
Last edited by eslapion on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Homebrew: An alternative to a 6561 VIC Chip...?

Post by groepaz »

I'll either throw in a level converter somewhere or (better option) see if I can use a different CPLD/FGPA that will handle input of 5V and output 5V also. Hopefully I can find a cheap one that will - I'd prefer that to adding heaps of logic level converters.
be careful though - it's not only the voltage level that is important, but - depending on where exactly you connect your stuff - also the type of input/output drivers. eg interfacing the (commonly present) push-pull drivers to a NMOS input that is shared (wired "ored") with other I/Os is a big nono. (many ICs let you configure the driver characteristics)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.