Here, have some VIC-20 game reviews!

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

ArugulaZ
Vic 20 Dabbler

Here, have some VIC-20 game reviews!

Post by ArugulaZ »

http://kiblitzing.blogspot.com/2019/09/ ... ccles.html

Howdy, everyone! It's been a while. I recently got bitten by the VIC-20 bug and wanted to try some of its games again. Fortunately, the Mega Cart made that a lot easier than it's been in the past... you can just load that on VICE and pick whatever games you want to play, rather than fussing with pairing files and hoping they'll work. These are a handful of the games that I played on the cartridge, including everything from the really impressive (Mountain King) to the really friggin' horrifying (Lunar Leeper).

So, uh... where is everybody, anyway?
SCREW BEAR
Bear is so startled that he falls off cliff.

http://kiblitzing.blogspot.com/
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Here, have some VIC-20 game reviews!

Post by hasseapa »

Well written reviews and some really good points on the game play. I will return to them when I return to those games.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I also found these reviews very well written and fun to read. This is the kind of reading that makes me dig old carts in my collection :) . Thanks!
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Lunar Leeper was my absolute favorite game on the VIC-20 so I would give it a rating of A+. Donkey Kong was my second favorite.

I don't see Omega Race on your list which was my 3rd favorite on the VIC. Although this game is really a poor quality conversion of the original game which used vector displays and rivals with today's 4K TV sets in image definition, the VIC-20 version is really fun to play. The C64 version sucks comparatively.

Shamus and Raid on Fort Knox were also among my favorites and they're not on your list.
Be normal.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

YES!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
ArugulaZ
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by ArugulaZ »

I think there's some misunderstanding about the purpose of the article. This was meant as a grab bag of reviews, not the very best of what the system has to offer. As noted in the introduction:

And these are a few of the games available for the system. I've chosen a random assortment of VIC-20 titles from high-profile arcade ports to easily overlooked indie releases, covering the good, the bad... and whatever the hell Parker Bros. was making.

I didn't review any Parker Bros. games... maybe there will be time for that later. It would be fun to savage their meager port of Frogger, considering the excellent conversion we got for the VIC-20 twenty five years later.

But thanks for the compliments!
SCREW BEAR

eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

ArugulaZ wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:05 pm I think there's some misunderstanding about the purpose of the article. This was meant as a grab bag of reviews, not the very best of what the system has to offer.
I have no idea if you've played the other games I've mentioned in my previous post. If not, I think you'll like them.

P.S.: the link in your signature doesn't seem to work!
Be normal.
ArugulaZ
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by ArugulaZ »

It's the former address of my now defunct web site. (You can see how often I come here... it's a pretty niche forum!) I just fixed it... now it goes to my blog.
SCREW BEAR