Biathlon

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

Biathlon

Post by orion70 »

As the first snow seems to be approaching Italy, I looked for some VIC winter games, and I found this review in Retrogaming Times Monthly #21.

So, I recalled the graphically excellent Biathlon found in a German disk collection. No instructions though. Anyone has an idea about the game controls?

Here's a screenshot:

Thank you. :wink:
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I've checked Biathlon few month ago to add it on Mega-Cart but after testing all keys and joy without results i've discarded it.
May it works using paddles ?!?!
In effect i've checked it using Vice not real hardware.

btw really impressive graphic !!!

Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

If I'm not mistaken, at least the German gentleman from whose page we found it is a member on this forum. He may not write very much.

Since you two have posted slightly different screenshots, at least Orion must've managed to move the skier a little bit. I have vague memories actually finding out how to play the game, which graphically is copied from Epyx' Winter Games, indeed in a very nice fashion.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Using VICE option [ALT+W] Warp mode you may see other screens since the skier move itself slowly.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

In EPYX's biathalon, you move the joystick from left to right smoothly, to simulate cross-country skiing. I don't know if this information is helpful with this game (which I agree is impressive).
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Ah, this is written in BASIC and a quick scan of the code, I saw that the "Z" key and the "X" key are used one after the other. For each ZX key press you get 2 added to your speed. When you get to the shooting part, use the back arrow key (ESC :D ). You run thru the 4 screens 3 times and then you get scored. Nice graphics. If you warp Vice, you can see all the screens. The only reason the 2 screen shots above are different is because the skier will go forward after so long on its own. It's hardly playable for me. Even rapid repeats of ZX won't get you going very fast.
Rob
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thank you very much GreyGhost, you demonstrate that hacking programs is always useful :D

Winter fun for all !!!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

(After some playing) - not so fun, ideed 8)
Very BASICly s l o w.
GreyGhost wrote:When you get to the shooting part, use the back arrow key (ESC :D ).
The back arrow key is the "|" and "" in VICE (ESC key breaks the program). :wink:
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Sorry, I was referring to a joke on another thread. It's the back arrow on the Vic keyboard. :wink:

Also, on my PC keyboard, the back arrow for Vice is the "`" and "~", so i guess the PC's keyboards must differ. The "|" and "\" is the equal sign I think.
Rob
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Perhaps the graphics could be reused and the gameplay rewritten in Basic or machine code to make a more fluid biathlon game?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: Biathlon

Post by siccoyote »

Just trying out this game, it is quite pretty and has the nice rendition of chariots of fire at the start, but as people have said it's pretty unplayable I've managed to get up to 20 speed then it drops down for no reason and I can't get it back up.

There's probably quite a few games that could do wtih a bit of revision.