No PROGRAMMER'S AID Cart for other Commodore computers?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

No PROGRAMMER'S AID Cart for other Commodore computers?

Post by ral-clan »

Thanks to the help of DENIAL members, I got the manual for the VIC-20 Programmer's Aid cartridge. WOW! What a useful cartridge! I don't ever recall seeing such a cart made for the other Commodore computers....which I find hard to believe (especially for the C64), as it is so handy. Also, the same goes for the Super Expander cartridge.

Am I correct in this assumption? I wonder why they didn't do it. Perhaps BASIC 4.0 in the later CBM machines implemented many of the AUTONUMBER, find and replace, etc. features of this cartridge. Perhaps the C64 had special programming utilities you could load which would do the same things as this cartridge.

If not, then the VIC with the Programmer's AID cartridge and Super Expander plugged in is certainly one of the best Commodore machines for BASIC programming that I can think of!
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Nah, the 128's BASIC 7.0 wins easily for best BASIC implementation ever in my opinion.

Commodore also made a Super Expander cartridge for the C64, and there were very many third-party "BASIC Helper" cartridges such as the VicTree.
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

programmers aid

Post by dragos »

I used to load my c64 programs on my vic to use the renumber function or the merge function.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Other legacy C64 cartridges worth mention: Tool 64 and Simons' Basic. Then you have the more "modern" freezer cartridges: Final Cartridge 1-3, Action Replay 1-6, Expert, Power and so on. Many of these include a subset of a Basic extention, at least commands for renumber and automatic line number.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Schema wrote:Nah, the 128's BASIC 7.0 wins easily for best BASIC implementation ever in my opinion.
But there is no FIND command!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

I always used MetaBASIC from Compute! for my C64. Seems like it had most of the functions the Programmers' Aid Cart had.

But I agree, the P.A. Cart for the VIC is one of the handiest utilities out there.
Alan
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

[quote="Schema"]Nah, the 128's BASIC 7.0 wins easily for best BASIC implementation ever in my opinion.[quote]

Basic 8 added a bit more functionality for C128 :wink:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20