*ALL PHYSICAL COPIES ARE SOLD OUT*: REALMS OF QUEST V (Digital version is available)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

rubygolem
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: *BOXED EDITION SOLD OUT*: REALMS OF QUEST V (Digital version available July 1 2019)

Post by rubygolem »

if the new c64's vic20 mode has the required memory expansion, I just may pick one of those up. Realms of Quest V has been so much fun. Image
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Re: *BOXED EDITION SOLD OUT*: REALMS OF QUEST V (Digital version available July 1 2019)

Post by Ghislain »

Jeff-20 wrote:I am completely in awe of this project. I hope the new C64 release (with the VIC mode) brings attention to VIC 20 projects. I would love to see this as one of the first examples of why people should explore that VIC mode.
Thank you. What pulled me through all the way to the end was having persistence and determination. I would often start programming RPG projects in the 1980s for the C64 when I was a teenager, but I could never finish them (see Ultimate Quest Catacomb on side 2 of the Realms of Quest IV release where I finally finished an RPG game decades after I had started it). Back then, I just had no clue what I was doing. That's why I made Realms of Quest I for the VIC-20--it's far more modest in scope.

I love the aesthetics of the graphics and sound of the VIC-20 on its own merits. With the help of Mike's graphic tools (and his ML routines that he made specifically for this game), I was able to really showcase how an epic RPG with great visuals and sound would be like on this machine. Some have opined that the 32K RAM expansion requirement puts this game outside of the scope of what a traditional VIC-20 setup was like back in the day, but I could just imagine a game like this would have been advertised in COMPUTE!'s Gazette in 1984 where some screenshots of the game are shown along with "Disk drive and 32K RAM expansion cartridge required" would have intrigued people. That and a mail cut-out form offering checkboxes that sell a disk drive and 32K RAM cartridge to go with the game.

But this is a VIC-20 game for the year 2019. And as 32K has become a normal and accepted convention for modern games and projects for the VIC-20, I am certain that there will be spectacular releases in the future, just as there have been in the past few years.

Double Sided Games sent me this photo of the cardboard boxes that they received a few days ago. So the physical game is being assembled and made ready to mail out as I type this, I'm certain.
realms5.jpg
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Ghislain wrote:Some have opined that the 32K RAM expansion requirement puts this game outside of the scope of what a traditional VIC-20 setup was like back in the day
Well, 32K RAM-expansions were pretty common back then. I remember in the german 64er-magazine there was always the advertisement for the 32/27K-expansion by Klaus Jeschke which was had switch and could support the 3K-expansion-area as well. It sold for 159,- DM which was actually less than an official Commodore 16K-expansion cost back then. The only other guy with a VIC-20 I knew back then had exactly this expansion.

If anything, people didn't use floppy-drives for the VIC-20 back then, since these cost 2-3 times as much as the VIC-20 itself. Anyway: If you want to show off what the VIC-20 can do, expansions and floppy-drives are fine by me. I usually draw the line at "could you reasonably have gotten the system this runs on back in the day", though I can still appreciate what can be done with an Ultimem with its 8 megabytes of ROM for example.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

:D
Attachments
Screenshot_20190710-070511.png
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

orion70 wrote::D
Mine too! Can't wait! It usually takes a couple weeks for shipments from Canada to reach me for some reason though. Sometimes stuff from China gets to me faster..
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

orion70 wrote::D
Some people have told me that they have received their copies of the game!
realms5.jpg
I can't wait to actually get mine finally after all of this time. Dev work began in February 2017 and the day of realization is almost here.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Got my copy today (July 19th, 2019)....although I am only 2 hours away from Kingston, Ontario, Canada, where it appears to have been mailed out from.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I guess I have to wait a little bit longer then.. But, I'll be at the seaside for three weeks starting from tomorrow onwards, so the wait will be sweet :mrgreen: . My aunt's shop is the place where the package was sent, she keeps it open for me (well, almost 8) ).
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

I received mine today! Made it safe and sound. Looks great. thanks!
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

To those who have a WiModem installed in their VIC-20; remove it before playing this game.

The WiModem, while plugged in, makes the VIC-20 react as if there are joystick presses, or button pushes. So when I tried to view the Realms of Quest introduction, the first screen of the intro flashed for a second and then the game reloaded the main menu screen. Removing the WiModem allowed me to view the intro.

Note: I was playing this from real floppies, but I assume the behaviour would be the same even with the .d64 image.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

My copy arrived today. Very very happy about that :D :D :D
I just came back from summer holidays, so I think I will setup a retro-VIC table and start playing as soon as I have time, after returning at work (tomorrow :roll: ).

Thanks again!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I am playing this game and it's fun, but have a question:

How do you un-equip something from a party member? I.e. if I have a party member equipped with weapons and armour, and I want him to take it off so it can be equipped on another party member, how is this done?
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

ral-clan wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:49 pm I am playing this game and it's fun, but have a question:

How do you un-equip something from a party member? I.e. if I have a party member equipped with weapons and armour, and I want him to take it off so it can be equipped on another party member, how is this done?
I am glad that you like the game. To remove an item from a player, go to View, then select the item (going up and down) and then select the Remove option at the bottom of the screen (using left and right). The item will then be moved to the common inventory pool.

This is also documented on page 20 of the manual.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

orion70 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:10 pm My copy arrived today. Very very happy about that :D :D :D
I just came back from summer holidays, so I think I will setup a retro-VIC table and start playing as soon as I have time, after returning at work (tomorrow :roll: ).

Thanks again!
I am happy that you received it. I hope that you have fun playing the game.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Re: *SECOND PRINTING NOW AVAILABLE*: REALMS OF QUEST V (Digital version available July 1 2019)

Post by Ghislain »

Great news! Double Sided Games is going to produce a second and final production run of the physical copy of the game:

https://doublesidedgames.com/shop/commo ... f-quest-v/

Features:
-Over 350 multicolor graphical images that depict the monsters, players and scenery portraits
-16 races, 16 classes, 2 sexes, and 3 alignments
-A party can have up to 10 player characters, plus 10 summoned monsters or NPCs
-An overland map that exceeds it’s predecessor by a factor of four!
-20 Cities and 20 villages
-Over 200 people that you can talk to and interact with
-20 mazes and dungeons to explore
-100 hours of game time
-The physical game comes in a boardgame-style box, with a 52-page manual with illustrations, cloth map, a medallion and four floppy disks.

Video Reviews:

Buy it now before you lose the chance to own a piece of gaming history!