£10 off - Penultimate+ Cartridge Discount Code

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

RodHull
Vic 20 Newbie

£10 off - Penultimate+ Cartridge Discount Code

Post by RodHull »

Heads up people.

You can get a tenner off the Penultimate+ cartridge at the moment, using code WHONEEDSSPRITES at check out

Linky: https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/shop/c ... -plus.html

Code has limited uses, one per customer.. and all that jazz :D
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Re: £10 off - Penultimate+ Cartridge Discount Code

Post by joshuadenmark »

Wow great, thanks.
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by RodHull »

No problem at all.

Some even say, it's currently shipping with an extra hidden feature :D
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

I've recently made use of this code and got a Penultimate+ although I already own a MegaCart.

While the Penultimate+ is great cartridge, there are some annoyances with it, that could be solved more or less easily:

- while the cartridge-images are the original from Zimmers-archive, most will only be centered on NTSC-displays. While a lot of cartridges offer to be centered for PAL-displays, some don't and beautfiul games like "Buck Rogers" are completely unplayable this way. The Mega Cart had hacked images of the cartridges to adjust the picture for PAL and NTSC. These hacks are simple enough to re-create.

- while the included FileBrowser is a nice feature, it would not work with my SD-drive since it resets with the VIC and takes too long to be ready for the included FileBrowser to recognize it. Interestingly I had the same problem with my MegaCart at first. But it provides NVRAM that can save a timeout. See the reply to my post. Now, I realize the Penultimat+ does not have NVRAM, but the FileBrowser itself could try to acccess the drive for say 30 seconds in a loop and only exit if there is no drive found after that time.

- why are not ALL known carts included in the Penultimate+ ? Space should not be an issue

I could offer help to (re)-hack the cart-images for PAL and possibly for the FIleBrowser-functionality. Maybe for a Penultimate++ :mrgreen:
folkoh
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by folkoh »

That‘s very helpful information, Tokra, as I was thinking about getting one. Just for the convenience it is offering, the SD and the new games. But no PAL adjustments? I was taking this as a given in 2019. I‘ll stick with my straight-forward Behr Bonz, my RAM expansions and Disk drives (btw original NTSC-carts like Buck Rogers can be made playable on a Commodore Monitor like the 108x series: adjust horizontal and vertical hold as much as needed. It‘s not 100% but for many carts it will do the job).
mingle
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mingle »

If only they would integrate an SD2IEC device into the cart (would that be a difficult task?), it would be even more of a 'must-have'...
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Or wifi with a constant updated vic 20 library online :D
Kind regards, Peter.
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

mingle wrote:If only they would integrate an SD2IEC device into the cart (would that be a difficult task?), it would be even more of a 'must-have'...
I don't necessarily see that as greatly beneficial. Having both C64s and VIC-20s, I would see it as a burden to have to turn on my VIC-20 to be able to use the SD2IEC on my C64.

However, it would be great to be able to plug in both computers into the same SD2IEC at the same time.

I also have a C128 but I don't use it often.
Be normal.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

eslapion wrote:
mingle wrote:If only they would integrate an SD2IEC device into the cart (would that be a difficult task?), it would be even more of a 'must-have'...
I don't necessarily see that as greatly beneficial. Having both C64s and VIC-20s, I would see it as a burden to have to turn on my VIC-20 to be able to use the SD2IEC on my C64.

However, it would be great to be able to plug in both computers into the same SD2IEC at the same time.

I also have a C128 but I don't use it often.
That's why I built 4 SDIECs, one each for the VIC, C64, C128 and Plus4. I built the 4 with home-made PCBs for the cost of purchasing just one online and used the 3d printer for the cases. No unplugging and swapping needed.

I personally would like to see it built into the Penultimate. Would make for a cleaner set-up if nothing else.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

joshuadenmark wrote:Or wifi with a constant updated vic 20 library online :D
that's my dream that someone will make Xbox-Live for the Vic... no takers so far :lol: