VIC Steampunk — Love it or Hate it?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
TheAnachronaut
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: VIC Steampunk — Love it or Hate it?

Post by TheAnachronaut »

Nothing is friendlier than K-9, and he would be easy to make. You could make Twiki from Buck Rodgers (bidi-bidi), but that would be hard since he looks and walks like a person.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

That's not Steampunk, more post-Apocalyptic Mad Max :shock:
TheAnachronaut
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by TheAnachronaut »

Twiki is certainly friendly though. :D
TheAnachronaut
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by TheAnachronaut »

Now somebody’s bought the FrankenVIC for quite a chunk! I hope it’s one of you benevolent mad scientists, prepared to lovingly clean and restore it to it’s former beauty, but with a new, greater power and purpose!

Go forward, Visionary! Fear nothing as you combine the Friendly Old with the Needful New, to bring lost meaning to our confused relationship with technology!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Final price: $146.94 plus shipping. I don’t understand. Can someone explain why?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
TheAnachronaut
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by TheAnachronaut »

I don’t understand. Can someone explain why?
I think it’s because this may be the remains of the only VIC laptop in existence. The little screen may have once worked. The pigtail could be an S-video output; it might have hooked up to a larger screen at home!
Is that trash falling off the modem port a wireless modem? Could there be an internal battery tube behind that open hole?

Ben Heck built a great C64 laptop. Have you ever seen an enclosed VIC laptop? Could a Commodore technology archeologist call this totally unique?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

TheAnachronaut wrote:
I don’t understand. Can someone explain why?
I think it’s because this may be the remains of the only VIC laptop in existence. The little screen may have once worked.
No way! We already have an image of the vic with a built in screen. It's slightly to the side, not center of the computer. I thought this was a modded vic (attempt?) with a modern led screen inside.

High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
TheAnachronaut
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by TheAnachronaut »

Jeff-20: yes! I love it! Maybe you’d even be able to read that tiny screen with it so close. Is there any evidence that this was more than a prototype? The FrankenVIC seems to have at least a three inch screen. And who knows, maybe the FV actually worked. Really, the only bad thing about it is the egregious case-cutting.

How many other VICs have rusted away or even been simply thrown in the trash? At least FrankenVIC got a chance at living again, and now it’s got a third chance. I have a sneaking suspicion that we’ll see it again in a more beautiful form, a finer form only suggested by its current state. Perhaps a not-so mad scientist in this very group will unveil it to us first.

All that being said, I’d display it, as is, on my den wall proudly . . . If I had a den. :D