Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Tamurello
Vic 20 Newbie

Scott Adams, Infocom and the VIC

Post by Tamurello »

Hey!

First Post. Forgive me :)
As you know, Infocom never released any adventures for the VIC. Scott Adams did five. He told me once, that he "struggled to fit it in 5k!" <- One of the few who knew that the VIC had 5k, not just those 3511 Bytes...:) (<-- Edited: 3583! I was in the C64 mode! :))
Anyway I did foolishly asked him to remake one or some of his classics, namely Pirate Adventure, Voodoo Castle and The Count. I had the PC in mind and he agreed. As for every hobby coder, real life is an issue. So the project went on hiatus. After time I myself considered the project "dead" --> But then Bit Shifter came out with a splendid Z-Machine implementation: 58 (52?) columns for the C64, and a whopping 38 for the VIC. This fueled my ambitions since both 8-Bit Commodores have etched deep scratch marks into my heart.
This was a solution! I'd do it for 8-Bit!
Long story short: I'm doing a remake of Pirate Cove. Got four rooms so far and the blessings of Scott Adams himself. He doesn't know why Pirate Adventure was named Pirate Cove on the VIC. He suspects the marketing.

Anyway, have a look:
Attachments
Intro.png
Intro.png (4.77 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
Stress Test.png
Stress Test.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
In the Alcove.png
In the Alcove.png (3.74 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
Last edited by Tamurello on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Scott Adams, Infocom and the VIC

Post by orion70 »

Great effort! Congrats on this. Is there an ETA for it? (Eagerly waiting to play :) )
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

This is very cool!
I was going to ask if you were writing it old-school with ZILF or using Inform but I see Inform in the game header :)
I have a soft spot for adventures on the VIC, so looking forward to it.
lance.ewing
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by lance.ewing »

Tamurello wrote:Anyway I did foolishly asked him to remake one or some of his classics, namely Pirate Adventure, Voodoo Castle and The Count. I had the PC in mind and he agreed.
Scott Adams is great. I was in email contact with him about 20 years ago. At that time I asked if I could create a remake of Mission Impossible using the Sierra On-Line AGI 3D animated adventure game system, and he said yes. At that time I was very much into reverse engineering the AGI system and had built some editor tools for building such games that would run on that engine. I got quite a bit into creating the game. I clearly remember creating this great animation of the main character dragging the dead body around with him, and I was working on the room with the projector and projector screen when work was paused for a while. And then I ended up losing everything on that PC, which was a real shame. This was kind of before I was in the habit of using source control for hobby projects, or even regularly copying things to floppy disks.

Anyway, I'm also a big Scott Adams adventure fan and looking forward to seeing what you create.
jcompton
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by jcompton »

So these are elaborations/expansions on the original games and not straight Z-Machine ports? Those have been hanging around for a long time, ala http://mirror.ifarchive.org/if-archive/ ... inform.zip .
Tamurello
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Tamurello »

Thanks for the replies!
This is a pure weekend project, so it might take some time to finish. ZILF looks promising, but is far from being complete - so I use Inform 6.15 Lib 6/2, the last one which could compile to Infocom Version 3. This one here is coded on a real Amiga 1200 (no kidding!) so nope, no straight port from the original games. It's a complete rewrite. And Impossible Mission in AGI?! Heh, that would be cool too!
Forgot to mention that a 32K memory expansion and a floppy disk drive are mandatory for Pirate Cove! :(
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I think that nowadays every serious Denialer has a +32K RAM expansion and a real disk drive, and/or a SD2IEC device. So it's not big issue, the big issue is: when will it be ready? (just joking :))
Tamurello
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Tamurello »

Friday afternoon, just firing up that ol' Amiga, Orion! :)

And for all who know and love Scott, good news: He and his new company, Clopas, are working on 'Adventureland XL' for the upcoming 40th anniversary.
Guess what? It's a text-adventure! :)
Check this on YouTube: https://youtu.be/LRTnek2njA4

That's why I'm doing Pirate Adventure. :p
ScottAdams
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by ScottAdams »

Wonderful to read the comments on this thread.

Happy Adventuring all!

Scott Adams
Last edited by ScottAdams on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamurello
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Tamurello »

Hrm.
edededdy
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by edededdy »

Tamurello wrote:Hey!

First Post. Forgive me :)
As you know, Infocom never released any adventures for the VIC. Scott Adams did five. He told me once, that he "struggled to fit it in 5k!" <- One of the few who knew that the VIC had 5k, not just those 3511 Bytes...:) (<-- Edited: 3583! I was in the C64 mode! :))
Anyway I did foolishly asked him to remake one or some of his classics, namely Pirate Adventure, Voodoo Castle and The Count. I had the PC in mind and he agreed. As for every hobby coder, real life is an issue. So the project went on hiatus. After time I myself considered the project "dead" --> But then Bit Shifter came out with a splendid Z-Machine implementation: 58 (52?) columns for the C64, and a whopping 38 for the VIC. This fueled my ambitions since both 8-Bit Commodores have etched deep scratch marks into my heart.
This was a solution! I'd do it for 8-Bit!
Long story short: I'm doing a remake of Pirate Cove. Got four rooms so far and the blessings of Scott Adams himself. He doesn't know why Pirate Adventure was named Pirate Cove on the VIC. He suspects the marketing.

Anyway, have a look:
The five Scott Adams cartridges were 16k in size, plus ram of around 5k total.

Ed
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Andy Finkel at Commodore did the VIC-20 programming.
I just poked around the Adventureland cartridge contents and there's no text compression, so there's plenty of room for optimization, but it probably wasn't worth it because it wouldn't have been easy to squeeze into an 8k cart anyway :)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

So maybe the VIC version could have been a little more verbose.. I always found AL (and the other two) a bit too succinct. It detracted from atmosphere.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Agreed! It made the games feel more like puzzles and less like adventures.
Tamurello
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Tamurello »

edededdy:

That may well be true. But that's what Scott told me. Perhaps his memory faded after all this years. Ask him yourself, he has an account here.