Mikro Assembler annoying bug!

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Mikro Assembler annoying bug!

Post by llcameron »

I'm trying to use the Mikro Assembler but keep having a most annoying bug with it.

Any immediate mode syntax error will make the visible screen text area jump down and right 25%, which makes reading the bottom right quarter of the screen not visible!

Anyone else seeing this behaviour? I have to type VERY carefully so as not to make a syntax error when I am typing commands. Most annoying.

I'm wondering if there is some pokes I can do to make the screen jump back to the default location, but a ROM with a fix for this bug would be awesome.

The ROM image I downloaded from Zimmers, and burned onto an EPROM, but the same behaviour happens when I run under VICE.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Mikro Assembler annoying bug!

Post by Mike »

llcameron wrote:[...] Anyone else seeing this behaviour? [...] a ROM with a fix for this bug would be awesome. [...]
Hint: PAL users are not affected. :wink:

See point 2, "Incompatible by accident", in another thread.

No big deal to sort out if you're proficient with a monitor/debugger and know the VIC registers.
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by llcameron »

Awesome thank you for the link! I have wondered for the last 35 years what the differences between NTSC and PAL were and how to handle them correctly. !
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by llcameron »

Yes I see that this problem does not exist with a PAL VIC.

Are you aware of any magic pokes that can restore the screen back to its original NTSC position?
Forbidden64
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Forbidden64 »

llcameron wrote:Yes I see that this problem does not exist with a PAL VIC.

Are you aware of any magic pokes that can restore the screen back to its original NTSC position?
This will do the trick. I did a quick check of the program to see if I can find where it is changing the screen, but I can't find it as of yet.
The following will correct the screen though, should be dead center for NTSC.

Code: Select all

poke 36864,05
poke 36865,25
On that note, there is a book by abacus software which has a similar "basic assembler" where it uses an untokenized basic to make its assembly.
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on the vic 20(with a few small modifications perhaps)... I peeked into the book just to make sure, and yep, that's the book alright! It is called the LEA (Lothar Englisch Assembler, after the author of the book). It is apparently written in basic, and is a 2 pass assembler. The token part might need to be changed from c64 basic though...not sure.

http://69.60.118.202/books/commodore/bo ... ore_64.zip

...and you don't have to type it in apparently! Here is the disk containing the assembler and de-tokenizer

http://69.60.118.202/commodore/disks/books/ABACML64.D64
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by llcameron »

What I found is that a simple runstop/restore will return the screen back back to the center. Minor annoyance! Thanks for the suggestion!