Entrepo Quick Data Drive Master QOS Wafer

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Entrepo Quick Data Drive Master QOS Wafer

Post by llcameron »

I recently picked up on ebay on of these wafer tape type Entrepo drives. Unfortunately the "Master QOS Wafer" tape that it came with is broken and I don't believe its repairable.

Is anyone in possession of a working copy of one of these wafer tapes that I could duplicate? I have three NOS wafers, and actually THREE drives (one of which is bound to actually work), that I am hoping I might be able to make a copy of the Master QOS Wafer. Without it, the drives are useless for actual use.
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: Entrepo Quick Data Drive Master QOS Wafer

Post by llcameron »

Anyone? I've got real money behind this request :) I want one of these boot wafers so if you are holding, lets talk!
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

Do you have a way of getting files from the internet to your commodore? like the zoomfloppy or sd2iec?

If so then I believe you should be able to dload the files here https://archive.org/details/QuickDataDriveModel8500C64 ,
copy the d64 of the software to disk, then copy it to the wafer to boot from later.

Shouldn't that do the trick?
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by llcameron »

Thanks for your suggestion!

My understanding with this drive is that for it to work at all, you need the boot wafer, which contains the "QOS" or the equivalent to DOS in order for the drive to work at all.

I will look at the link closely though because I am hoping that I am mistaken!

Thank you again for finding that link for me!
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by llcameron »

Well this seems to work but its for the C64 unfortunately!

I'm looking for the VIC version. The quest continues...
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by llcameron »

Snap! Thank you so much for pointing this out to me!! Hopefully the tape actually is intact and doesn't break the first time I try to use it!
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by llcameron »

Aargh!!

I purchased one and the QOS tape worked exactly ONE time before coming off the reel (maybe the tape broke too, not sure)! There is no good way to access the internals of the tape cartridge to see if its repairable from what I can see.

I think my only hope here is to be able to find the archived software that hopefully some kind soul has posted online. So far all I have found is the C64 version of the QOS. There is the QOS operating system prg and another prg named the FMU which can be used to create more QOS tapes that I need to find.

If anyone out there has a working Entrepo drive with a working QOS/FMU please contact me!

Thanks everyone!