Copyright on Vic20 Roms

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

RJBowman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: Copyright on Vic20 Roms

Post by RJBowman »

Do many programs use ROM entry points other than the KERNAL jump vectors? I can't imagine that many games would.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

RJBowman wrote:Do many programs use ROM entry points other than the KERNAL jump vectors? I can't imagine that many games would.
Your original question was:
RJBowman wrote:Has anyone ever attempted to clean room engineer Commodore compatible ROMs?
... and the answer is: No.

The reasons for this have been laid out in the preceding posts. If you don't believe those are valid reasons, fine. Prove us false.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

RJBowman wrote:Do many programs use ROM entry points other than the KERNAL jump vectors? I can't imagine that many games would.
Many of the ROMs I've disassembled use arbitrary entrypoints into both the BASIC and KERNAL. Anything from simple setting an error value to internals of the serial bus.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

This is even much more true on vic20 than it is on c64, since on vic20 you'll use every trick in the book to save valuable ram space
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Someone tries to do the same for the C64:

http://c65gs.blogspot.com/2019/05/free- ... -roms.html
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

Schlowski wrote:Someone tries to do the same for the C64:

http://c65gs.blogspot.com/2019/05/free- ... -roms.html
Ugh. Half the README is trying to justify the legitimacy of the project and its "cleanliness". There's absolutely no way the author hasn't been exposed to disassemblies of the routines he's rewriting. Like Groepaz said, this makes slightly more sense on the C64, where the top-quality stuff is using the ROM very little if at all. But for C64 4K's and such this is going to have the same issues.

This (and the whole C65 project) seems more like an academic exercise than anything. The author even acknowledges that this particular endeavor is likely redundant:
On a related note, it is quite likely that the lack of defence of the copyrights of the ROMs of these old systems over many many years has created an implied license to use and distribute these ROMs.