VIC prototyping boards

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: VIC prototyping boards

Post by eslapion »

The Behr-Bonz prototype (2008) was built on a Vector Electronics board model 3677 and Digikey still carries them. The edge connector is gold plated.

I just looked at Digikey's inventory for boards from the same manufacturer and found 11 different types of boards with edge connectors of 44 contacts with 0.156" spacing. They range in price from 22.75$US up to 37.60$US for the larger ones.

The part numbers are as follows:
3662-5
3682-4
3677-2
4112-5
4112-4
3662-9
3662-2
3662A6

On all of them the edge connector has gold plated contacts.
Floopy wrote: I didn't think that HASL was that bad until I started comparing my HASL boards and 35 year old edge connectors.
Yup!
Be normal.
bdk6
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by bdk6 »

eslapion wrote:The Behr-Bonz prototype (2008) was built on a Vector Electronics board model 3677 and Digikey still carries them. The edge connector is gold plated.

I just looked at Digikey's inventory for boards from the same manufacturer and found 11 different types of boards with edge connectors of 44 contacts with 0.156" spacing. They range in price from 22.75$US up to 37.60$US for the larger ones.

On all of them the edge connector has gold plated contacts.
Since I'm poor I prefer $28 US for TEN of my boards WITH gold plating rather than $22.75 to $37.60 plus shipping for one of Vector's. The Vector boards are nice; I have some. But they are expensive, as I mentioned in the original post. I have a hard time paying $30 for a one-off prototype board that I'm going to mount $3 worth of parts to and possibly chuck in the bin in a week or two. Perhaps there are other poor people out there who feel the same way I do and the board I posted is an option for them. Rich people need not apply :D
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

bdk6 wrote:Since I'm poor I prefer $28 US for TEN of my boards WITH gold plating rather than $22.75 to $37.60 plus shipping for one of Vector's. The Vector boards are nice; I have some. But they are expensive, as I mentioned in the original post. I have a hard time paying $30 for a one-off prototype board that I'm going to mount $3 worth of parts to and possibly chuck in the bin in a week or two. Perhaps there are other poor people out there who feel the same way I do and the board I posted is an option for them. Rich people need not apply :D
Somehow I missed the part where it says the indicated pricing is for TEN boards. A rather significant oversight...

28$ for ten boards is indeed considerably cheaper than 22.75$ for only one.

Learning new things every day, I guess...
Be normal.
Floopy
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Floopy »

Good point, but they offer chamfered edges for free with ENIG plating. So why not?

I paid 27.19 for ten ENIG plated boards. Although I was under 100x100mm, if you go over they make you pay a little more.
-Floopy