SuperCPU for the Vic-20

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: SuperCPU for the Vic-20

Post by Kakemoms »

Small update:

After some rigorous testing, I found that the internal silicon oscillator of the MachXO3 is too unstable to be useable. I tested the board at several temperatures, which showed that the internal counters would have to take temperature into account (which would be too complicated).

Fortunately I had planned to include an external oscillator for the VGA, so it looks like I will base all internal action on this. I did some testing with a 133MHz one, but this gave me headache after a while (no wonder), so decided to go for a 16.384MHz one instead. Internally this goes through a PLL to generate a 524MHz clock that becomes the source for all other clocks. The reason for the 16.384 is that its a fairly common value and that it gives a 65.5MHz clock that is good for XVGA at 60Hz.

Once I get and test the new oscillator, the final pcb goes into production.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Well, I finally got some Ecliptek Oscillators at 16.384MHz. After some troubleshooting I got the VGA working again and its very stable compared to using the internal silicon oscillator. The rightmost edge is not oscillating anymore:
IMG_0844.jpg
The 65.5MHz clock is 0.7% higher which gives a mismatch between the monitor and the signal. This is not what causes the pixel bleeding here, but the fact that this monitor has more pixels than the signal resolution of 1024 pixels in width (this particular monitor has 1440 pixels horizontal resolution). Anyway, the picture is very sharp compared to a CRT which was the whole point.

A few bugs surfaced during the testing. I will use this external oscillator for all internal timings and debug it for the first release version.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

After alot of debugging, the SD Card code has been improved with error correction. The card is now driven from the external clock so that it has a more stable frequency of 24.966MHz. Previous attempts at driving the SPI bus that fast did not work very well.

Still, some read errors were seen once in a while, so an implementation of both CRC7 and CRC16 checks were done. The routines are still driven by the 6502 of the Vic-20, but will eventually be run on the 65C02 side. (The CRC16 calculation takes about 15880 cycles) Save will be implemented later.

In the meantime I have also implemented double char height mode for the VGA and fixed some bugs in that code. There is still an issue with the graphics byte grabbing in some instances, but its on my fix list. I want all games (without raster effects) to work on VGA.

A few notes on the SPI bus:
A special register $97ff is used to control the bus.
Memory $9800-$9Bff is used as a buffer with DMA access.
It takes 164us to fill the buffer with a 514 byte block (512 bytes + CRC16).

I would like to add a second SPI bus for the expansion port. There are many peripherals that can be controlled with this bus, so it will allow anyone to connect things like AMOLED displays, E-ink paper, Cameras... and so on. Due to a change in the Vic-20 interface, I will have to move the A13 address line input to IO3 to do this. Shouldn't be a problem since the A13 isn't needed anyway.

The last thing on the plan before release 1 is to get SRAM to BLK5 mapping working. All of BLK0 can be used for the VGA display, even the RAM1/2/3 gap. BLK1/2/3 can be used for running both 6502 (internal) and 65C02 (external) programs. In fact, they can run at the same time on the same memory. The 1MiB SRAM is only visible through BLK5 though (for the 6502), while the 65C02 can use the full 1MiB SRAM through a MMU register. This is not ready yet, but I may make it compatible with the C128 MMU.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Another update:

The Vic-6560 emulation now seems to work as it should. I had to rewrite the clock logic completely as it was screwing up when screen map and character map was sharing the same space. Dual char height and column register now works as expected. Still have to implement left border adjustment, but even full screen graphics works (character map at 4096, screen map at 7168). Support for raster effects have not been implemented yet, so more experimental resolutions will have to wait.

External SRAM is now working. It is currently mapped to BLK5 or BLK3, but I plan to make it dynamic so that you can map any BLK to it. The difference between the external SRAM and the internal one is that the latter can run both 6502 and 65C02 code at the same time (in the same location!). It opens for some interesting interactions. The external SRAM is currently not multiplexed, so only one cpu at a time there.

Here is a crude memory map

Code: Select all

Block	  Address range  6502 (Vic-20)				 65C02 (SuperVixen)
RAM0		 $0000-$03FF   Internal Vic-20			  Copy of Vic-20 RAM or External SRAM
RAM1/2/3	$0400-$0FFF   Shared						  Exclusive or External SRAM
RAM4/5/6/7 $1000-$1FFF   Internal Vic-20			  Copy of Vic-20 RAM
BLK1/2/3   $2000-$7FFF   Shared or External SRAM	Shared or External SRAM
BLK4		 $8000-$9FFF   Character ROM & registers Character RAM, copy of Color RAM and IO2/3 RAM
BLK5		 $A000-$BFFF   Shared or External SRAM	Shared or External SRAM
BLK6		 $C000-$DFFF   Basic ROM					  External SRAM
BLK7		 $E000-$FFFF   Kernal ROM					 External SRAM
Looks quite complicated, but it isn't. From the Vic-20 side, everything looks the same except that BLK1-3 and BLK5 has extra RAM, like a 32KiB expansion. BLK0 (or RAM0 to RAM7) is the same as always, but with 3KiB expansion memory in the RAM1-3 area. The memory can be configured through the startup menu if you want, so you can even run it as an unexpanded Vic-20.

On the SuperVixen side, there are two things: 1) The VGA output and 2) the 65C02 processor. Both require RAM:

During normal Vic-20 usage, all memory in the lower part (RAM0-RAM7, or BLK0 if you want to call it that) is copied to the SuperVixen side. The reason for this is that the VGA output gets its data from the normal Vic-20 internal memory. So most programs run as normal and are displayed on both your normal video screen and on the VGA monitor (if you connect it). As simple as that.

The 65C02 is a faster version of the 6502 cpu. It currently runs at 25MHz and can run within its own RAM (External SRAM) or within the Vic-20 expansion RAM (Shared SRAM). The exception is that the 65C02 can not run within the internal RAM of the Vic-20 (RAM0 and RAM4-RAM7). The 65C02 is controlled by the Vic-20 and can be started or stopped by storing (POKE) to a certain register.

It is a possibility to run the Kernal and Basic within the 65C02. The SuperVixen currently lack the implementation of VIA registers, but I hope to do something with this in the future. Running CBM Basic at 25+ times the speed would certainly be a blast!
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

I just made a group about Vic-20 on MeWe that will give updates on the SuperVixen:
https://mewe.com/join/Vic-20
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

I hope you will post updates here too as I'm not willing to register on any social media site...
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Schlowski wrote:I hope you will post updates here too as I'm not willing to register on any social media site...
+1
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

The latest update is basically about how to access the 1MiB external SRAM, e.g. a 6502MMU. Here is some example code:

defm MMJ ; addr   MMJ=Memory Management Jump
        byte $DC
        byte >/1
        byte </1
endm

defm MMF ; addr   MMF=Memory Management Fetch
        byte $FC
        byte >/1
        byte </1
endm

defm LDAX ; highaddr ($ffff), addr ($fff)
        byte $FC
        byte >/1
        byte </1
        LDA /2+$A000,X
endm

defm STAX ; highaddr ($ffff), addr ($fff)
        byte $FC
        byte >/1
        byte </1
        STA /2+$A000,X
endm

defm JUMP ; highaddr ($ffff), addr ($fff)
        byte $DC
        byte >/1
        byte </1
        JMP /2+$A000
endm

defm JSUB ; highaddr ($ffff), addr ($fff)
        byte $DC
        byte >/1
        byte </1
        JSR /2+$A000
endm

*=$a000
        LDX     #0
loop
        MMF     $0000          ; Make sure its zero
        LDA     $a100,X
        STAX    $11,$200       ; Store in $11200,X
        INX
        CPX     #40
        BNE     loop
        JSUB    $11,$200       ; JSR $11200
        RTS

*=$a100
        LDX     #0
loop2
        TXA
        STAX    $10,$300       ; Store in $10300,X
        INX
        BNE     loop2
loop3
        LDAX    $10,$300       ; LoAD from $10300,X
        STA     $1000,X        ; Show on screen
        LDA     #0
        STA     $9400,X
        INX
        BNE     loop3
        RTS
There is no need to go into details, but its all about using codes from the "illegal opcodes" that doesn't do anything else. The MMU sees these codes and reads the $ADDR field to switch bank in the $A000-$AFFF area. There are other methods of bank switching as well, but the above is more efficient. I am currently debugging the IRQ/BRK handling, so alot remains.
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Looking very promising!

If I understand your code right, you are copying a subroutine to $11200 (which copies the content of $10300... to the screen and color ram) and then call this subroutine at $11200.

Some questions arise (at least for me): When executing the subroutine at $11200, what is the value of the instruction pointer? As far as i understand, the 6502 has it's original memory layout, otherwise you couldn't access screen and color ram. But how on earth can you connect the rts from this subroutine back to the original position where you come from?

And thank you for updating us here at Denial :)
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Schlowski wrote:Some questions arise (at least for me): When executing the subroutine at $11200, what is the value of the instruction pointer? As far as i understand, the 6502 has it's original memory layout, otherwise you couldn't access screen and color ram. But how on earth can you connect the rts from this subroutine back to the original position where you come from?
The MMU stores the current bank number during execution of a JSR in the $Axxx area. Basically the MMU contains an internal "stack" with space to 128 memory bank pointers (as the JSR uses the stack of the 6502 to store up to 128 return addresses), so that it goes back to the previous bank upon executing a RTS.
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Thanks for the clarification tht's a really nice solution!

As I reread your previous post I recognized I skipped over one important bit of information
to switch bank in the $A000-$AFFF area
That caused my irritation as I simply didn't get where the subroutine code resides.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Time for another short update:

I have debugged the MMU implementation for the last weeks. It is now fairly stable and IRQ is now handled as it should. Still, there are some situations with NMI and IRQ that I willl need to test (especially if they happen at the same time). Interrupt routines can now be put anywere in memory (including the 1MiB external SRAM).

I forgot to mention a random number generator that generates a fairly random bitstream. It should mainly be used for generating seeds (for pseudorandom generators), or you can use it directly if you dont care about distribution, normalization and such things.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

I finally got the last ugly bug out of the MMU. Here is a short video of the following code (I start the video with a Wozmon disassembly of the code before I run it):

1FA4   78                       SEI
1FA5   A2 00                    LDX #$00
1FA7   A9 00                    LDA #$00
1FA9   FC 22 00                 NOP $0022,X
1FAC   9D 00 A0                 STA $A000,X
1FAF   E8                       INX
1FB0   D0 F7                    BNE loop1
1FB2   A2 00    rerun           LDX #$00
1FB4   FC 22 00 loop3           NOP $0022,X
1FB7   FE 00 A0                 INC $A000,X
1FBA   E8                       INX
1FBB   D0 F7                    BNE loop3
1FBD   A2 00                    LDX #$00
1FBF   FC 22 00 loop4           NOP $0022,X
1FC2   BD 00 A0                 LDA $A000,X
1FC5   9D 00 10                 STA $1000,X
1FC8   A9 00                    LDA #$00
1FCA   9D 00 94                 STA $9400,X
1FCD   E8                       INX
1FCE   D0 EF                    BNE loop4
1FD0   A2 00                    LDX #$00
1FD2   BD 00 10 loop5           LDA $1000,X
1FD5   FC 22 00                 NOP $0022,X
1FD8   9D 00 A0                 STA $A000,X
1FDB   E8                       INX
1FDC   D0 F4                    BNE loop5
1FDE   4C B2 1F                 JMP rerun
Basically the "NOP $0022,X" precode is the new MMF $0022 bank select opcode. Using that before an access to $A000 results in an actual memory access of $22000. This works for all opcodes that can access the $A000-$AFFF memory area (but not for other memory areas).

The program starts by storing 256 zeros into $22000 to $220FF.
It then increases the memory location $22000 to $220FF by 1 using INC.
Third, the program copies the content of location $22000-$220FF onto the screen.
Last, the program copies the content of the screen back into location $22000-$220FF before it jumps back to the increase loop.

Everything here runs with IRQ enabled. The interrupt handling has taken some time to get going, but now seems to work. MMF opcodes are stored if an interrupt occur straight after, and is executed at the correct location once the isr returns to the program (through an RTI). And if you wonder: the program runs on the internal NMOS 6502.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Somehow, I suspect we're going to have a considerably faster version of Sargon II before long.
Be normal.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

eslapion wrote:Somehow, I suspect we're going to have a considerably faster version of Sargon II before long.
Uh oh.. ready for higher levels then? :wink: