Werewolves for vic 20

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Werewolves for vic 20

Post by 20questions »

this is a short text adventure, that was inspired by The howling. I will expand on this in the future. but help would be appreciated:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjhScqO7wC6kgP5pd7wmivIV31sokw
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
i'd rather be a rock star than a pop start 8)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Re: Werewolves for vic 20

Post by Jeff-20 »

I can't wait to find time to check this out. I'm really digging horror games lately.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
OmegaMax
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by OmegaMax »

I couldn't get this to work when I tried it.
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

OmegaMax wrote:I couldn't get this to work when I tried it.
load, list then run, should work. otherwise, i will fix it when i can. sorry :oops:
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
OmegaMax
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by OmegaMax »

I downloaded it again and this time it loaded fine,there is no user input correct?
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

OmegaMax wrote:I downloaded it again and this time it loaded fine,there is no user input correct?
other than typing run
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
OmegaMax
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by OmegaMax »

Good job so far
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

OmegaMax wrote:Good job so far
any ideas for improvement? I might migrate it to the 128 or 64 cause the vic screen is too small
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

You can try to make a real parser for your adventure. For beginner's purposes I suggest the book "Write your own Adventure Programs for Microcomputers" which you can download directly from the publisher here (bottom of the page), there are other programming books to download there as well:

https://usborne.com/browse-books/featur ... ing-books/

Also for more text on the VIC-screen you might try my Maxiedit-program
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

what else? any graphics tools? sprite editors?
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

anything at all?
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

20questions wrote:what else? any graphics tools? sprite editors? [...] anything at all?
For what matters, MINIPAINT might be worth a look as graphics tool.

The VIC-20 doesn't have sprites, but MINIPAINT can be used to create larger-than-a-single-char objects. It's possible to extract the character definitions from the picture files, and then move the object around, as I had shown in another thread: "VicShroom - My first Vic prod".

Whatever else you have in mind, please ask more detailed questions. It's also quite likely you'll find a good answer by looking around here in the other threads of the Programming section. You might also want to check out my Games Collection for unexpanded VIC-20. Most of the games in this collection are written in pure BASIC, their "source code" is easily obtained with LIST, and they give some nice examples on how to write games for the VIC-20.
Forbidden64
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Forbidden64 »

There are also a gaggle of tools that Gislain made back in the day. I added one program to this collection which allows for full screen character graphics to be saved. I am also working on a similar mod for that application which allows for macro animation to be pulled directly into a buffer or onto the screen so that it can be used to make full screen animations from tape or disk with very little memory usage. I hadn't incorporated the full screen editor into the magitools menu yet, but its at the bottom of the list of goodies on the disk called "fulls screen editor"

Here is a list of applications, excluding the one I added.
Name: magiTOOL
Author: Ghislain
Released: February 3, 2013
Requirements: Unexpanded VIC-20 + Disk Drive.
Description: Self-made toolkit that I used back in the day with my VIC-20 projects.

In the pre-internet days, I didn't have any VIC-20 tools like an ML monitor, graphics or sound editor. So I made my own. These were made between 1990-1996 and I put them all together under a single package:

magiPROG: Machine language assembler that uses decimal numbers.
magiCHAR: Build 8x8 custom characters
magiDRAW: 64x96 multicolor image editor
magiSONG: Play and record music with a piano keyboard. 7 voice combinations and 3 scales are supported.

for the full screen picture editor, this one was pulled out of an old book, 'The Vic-20 Computer Graphics Toolbox'. The instructions are here:
Load the program from tape or disk or from the keyboard. You may
now use the keyboard to create a picture from graphics or ordinary typewriter
characters. Use the CRSR keys ({UP}, {DOWN}, {LEFT}, {RIGHT},
and {HOME}) to move the cursor, which is a large cross. You can also move
the cursor by tilting the joystick. To save a picture, press the f1 key. You
must enter the name of a tape or disk file Oimit it to 10 characters); when
using the Datassette, be sure to press the PLAY and RECORD buttons before
entering the filename. Similarly, by pressing f2 (shifted f1 key), you can load
a picture you saved previously. Pressing f8 (shifted f7 key) ends the program.
I am also including a 40 column editor here. Unless you are diving into machine language, it won't run basic. However, you can do direct commands in most cases, and editing of software just like normal. I have an NTSC version seeing as your in good ol' Californ-I-A in the US of A like me. If you did convert your program to machine language, you could use this to have a 40 column text mode for your text adventure. In any event, your memory starts off in the normal location, $1200(expanded). So if you did go that route, you would have your 40 column wide screen already done. Just send your text to the standard CHROUT at $FFD2 and it will appear at the cursor location. Cursor controls also work, so loading register A with 93, then JSR $FFD2 would clear the screen etc.
You could also create a "locate" routine which just prints cursor movement keys after homing to get an exact location on screen. A basic version of this locate routine is included in my code snippets file discussed below.

How do you use your gislain made goodies?

Well, each one has a specific spot in memory that he stores them in. They are all listed in the help file on the same disk in the menus. From there you can load your data and utilize it for your program using a simple load from disk.

Furthermore, I have also been putting together a neat little basic toolbox. A basic 'library' of useful code snippets you can plug directly into your programs and use with a gosub call. Each code snippet has a different line number area so none of them will interfere with each other. I have listed in each case a crunched, and non-crunched version, and even included a demo or two for each one so people who are newer to VIC-style BASIC can understand it easier, and see what a crunched, mangled version of the same code looks like.
Attachments
fat 40 ntsc.zip
(35.7 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
MAGITOOL.zip
(14.63 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Code Snippets.zip
(6.39 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
tonyrocks
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by tonyrocks »

Mike wrote: The VIC-20 doesn't have sprites, but MINIPAINT can be used to create larger-than-a-single-char objects. It's possible to extract the character definitions from the picture files, and then move the object around, as I had shown in another thread: "VicShroom - My first Vic prod".
Thanks for mentioning my production. I've notice that I've hosted the example on an old domain that is no longer there. I will be updating the location as well as the link as soon as I can :)
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

put up a new game called trapped
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star